AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a 42" non-DLP rear projection HDTV by Samsung. Gaming is the main focus on my HDTV. I have all three consoles, and an Xbox 360 on order. About 75% of the time I use it is on games, with movies being around 20% and regular TV a distant 5%. Since most games have a HUD on screen 90% of the time, burn in is a constant worry of mine. I've had the HDTV for 2 years and no hint of burn in (it was a Costco floor model, so it's probably even older than that), but I'm starting to look at the very nice picture on the newer units. Mine only does 460p and 1080i, and doesn't support 720p so I'm starting to look for a TV that will support the higher resolution of the newer consoles. I do not want plasma, and LCDs are still too expensive for me, so looks like I'll be getting a DLP unit. I'm hearing about rainbow effects and gaming lag, though. I'm not effected by rainbows, but lag is a concern of mine. Can anyone at least give me an idea on which sets to look at? Looking for one around 46" - 50".

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Just an FYI 1080i has more resolution than 720p. The Xbox360 required developers to render games at 720p minimum. The Xbox360 will scale 720p to 1080i and 1080i to 720p to match the display device as needed. In effect, you are already covered here. The PS3 will do all of this and supposedly 1080p also but from what most say the unit won't be capable of decent performance at 1080p (and very few displays accept a 1080p input right now even though the display might be a fixed pixel 1080p native display - it basically serves to deinterlace a 1080i input). So basically, resolution-wise you are covered for the next generation unless you want to hope for Sony to be able to consistently handle 1080p and then your best course of action is to wait and see if this happens and allow the prices to drop.

Now as to what is supperior for video games 720p or 1080i - you'll hear the gammut but in reality there are people gaming on both that are very happy and you'll notice very few people bitching about any broadcast fast motion or otherwise being 720p or 1080i and not looking good so scaling is less of an issue at HD resolutions.

So you can get a new TV if you want but it isn't required for the new consoles in your case so don't feel that you have to move at all for this reason alone. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know about the newest generation of DLP, but when I was TV shopping last summer I tried out a Samsung HLP in store and I was not impressed overall with the way it handled video games. I only tested two games, but I carefully made my selections to test both ends of the spectrum:

F-Zero GX (GC) as a fast-moving 3D game with bright, colorful graphics and 60fps

The Guardian Legend (NES) as a low-res (256x240) horizontal/vertical scrolling game with high contrast

F-Zero GX looked pretty good, although I remember not feeling the sense of motion I normally get playing the game.

The Guardian Legend surprised me with how good it looked when I first turned it on. All of that changed as soon as it started scrolling. Sprites blurred to the point I could hardly tell what they were. It was weird because there wasn't any ghosting, even from the stars scrolling by on the black background. However, everything seemed to "fall out of focus" when it moved. It was disappointing too because I liked the idea of having a large, widescreen TV, but since it couldn't cut it for my gaming (which includes everything from Atari 2600 to Xbox) I had to pass it by.

So I ended up going with the 36" Trinitron. It handles all games, old and new, quite well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.