AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using these forums for years, and finally have a reason for my first post.:) In a couple of weeks I will be replacing my faithful 71" Samsung DLP with a Vizio P702UI-B3. The Vizio is capable of 4k 120hz video via its HDMI 2.0 input. I will only be utilizing an existing HTPC that I do not game on and an Xbox One on this set. Here are my questions for those of you who have already made the 4k leap:
1. Is there a decent receiver under $500 I can consider? I have an older non-HDMI Denon AVR I would also like to upgrade. I see plenty of receivers with HDMI 2.0 and passthrough, but I can't tell if they'll pass through 120hz video since they're all upgrading to 2160p60. I'm also not sure if they can pass through and just pull the audio signal since I've never had an HDMI receiver.
2. I need suggestions on video cards. Initially the only 4k content I'll have will be streaming video (and a presumably gorgeous desktop), but this is a 7TB media server that will be hosting content as it's available.
3. Codec suggestions for the best upgrading of video? I currently run Windows Media Center for all my media over Sharky's Codecs and usually run a Matroska/FFV Codec so I can stream to several Xbox 360s around my house. I'm hoping the codec will just upscale a little better once it has a 4k desktop, but would like some clarity if there's a better way.

Let me know what's worked for you. And if anything I'm asking rings a bell about a problem you already had, let me know. Appreciated.

-Bradrcr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did a bit more reading on the HDMI 2.0 standard now so I do realize now that I'm not going to get a 2160p120 signal into the TV and I should just be concerned with the 60hz. Already considering a GTX 970 card so I can avoid upgrading my power supply. I am curious how others rate the fan noise from any GTX or other cards others are using.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No replies so far, so I guess this will likely be me posting what I've found to help others and maybe narrow down my questions to those that can get some quick responses.

Receiver chosen: Onkyo TX-NR636. As of April 2015, this is the only receiver anywhere near its price range ($450) that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. Reviews are quite good and is mainly losing points for a clunky OSD. Since most people on here are comfortable accessing even service menus, I consider it a non-issue.

Video card chosen: GTX 960. This is the only card as of this time to support hardware h.265 encoding and decoding. This will be very useful for building next-gen 4k bluray backups later this year and I like having CUDA support in a couple of my encoders as well.

Next item on the agenda: build out the system and figure out the best settings for upscaling video to 2160p on the computer and not on the TV. I want a crisp, sharp desktop so 1080p is out the window. I'm usually using FFDShow as part of Sharky's Codecs so I can stream .mkv's to my Xbox 360s as media center extenders. It's a VERY clean setup and you'd never know I even had customized menus or codecs. My wife and house guests like the simplicity and it's how I get live TV throughout the house. Unfortunately, I've done tons of searching and the only useful thread I've found for settings for upscaling is here: forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=394443

I'll try this out myself and post my results vs. default settings. If anyone else has Codec settings they are proud of, post them here, I could use some upscaling love.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts