AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First off, I want to thank you guys for all the help you unknowingly gave me, as a lurker. I'm at a point I can't lurk anymore, though, and need to actually ask my questions.

I'm working on setting up my first home theater setup. Right now, I've got an old 27" TV I got for $200 about 5 years ago. Not too bad, if you don't mind the odd purple spots in the upper right and lower left corners

Prices and my income have come to a point where I can actually think about upgrading. I don't have a lot to spend, and as I'm more a video guy as opposed to audio, I'm spending the majority of my budget on the TV. I also figure that I can more easily upgrade the audio components as I get more money down the road, but the TV isn't exactly something I can upgrade pieces of when I find a few more hundred dollars in my pocket.

Here's my list:

Panasonic TH-50PH9UK Plasma HDTV + HDMI Module / Stand

Sony DVP-NC85H DVD player

Onkyo HT-S790 (refurb)

That's just inside my max budget, of around $3000. Reading on this site, and elsewhere, I believe each of these parts are, in their own right, good deals for their price / options. So, now for the questions:

1) Does this setup look ok? Or does anybody have any better options (keeping in mind the price...)

2) The most complicated hookup I've done for a home theater setup was plugging in my Xbox...so let me run this by you all real quick.

PS2 and Xbox get plugged into the reciever. Cable / Satellite get hooked up to the reciever (I dont know which I'm getting, as I'm moving to a new city in a few weeks), using ??? cables. DVD player video will be through the HDMI cable to the TV, while the audio (optical?) goes to the reciever. My PC can be hooked up to the TV through the VGA input. Video from the reciever to the TV through composite cables. When that's all hooked up, I can switch between PC, DVD and Reciever inputs on the TV, and when I have the receiver inputs selected, using the reciever, I can select the PS2 or Xbox. All audio gets sent through the reciever, and out the S790's speakers.

...phew. Does that sound right?

Sorry for the longish post. Hope I'm on the right track, as a low-end system building n00b

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sounds good except for the composite cables to route the video from the receiver to the tv. Go with component instead. Make sure you get a component cable for the ps2 also, monoprice doesn't carry them but you can get one off epay for around $10. It makes a pretty noticable difference.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sounds good but as the other guy said go with component cables for your video you will get better PQ over composite.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, glad to know I'm on the right track. No worries on my choice of cables, the only reason I said I'd use those was because I wasn't sure what to use, so I made a guess. That's why I ran my idea of how everything will hook up by you guys, not only to make sure I had everything hooked up to where it needs to be, but with the right cables. If component are the right ones to use, I'll go for them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK guys, I have one more question, this one more specific to the TV. The Panasonic TH-50PH9UK doesn't come with a tuner, which will be fine since I plan on getting either cable / satellite in HD, whichever I get in my new apartment. The question is, after this summer, I'll need to come back to school for a couple more months to finish up my degree's. In the dorms, each room has a cable hookup. It's regular cable, nothing fancy.

How does this work? Can the TV still display it the images from a regular cable hookup? Do I plug the cable into the reciever, and then the reciever into the TV, and the reciever does all the work? I'm a little confused on this aspect

·
Registered
275 Posts
It would depend on the cable box you have. If the cable box has just a coax connection you would route that to the tv and the audio to the receiver. If the cable box has a component or s-video connection then you can route it through the receiver along with the audio connection.

If they don't supply a cable box then you could route everything through your dvd player first and use it as a tuner. Same connections, video from dvd to tv, audio from dvd to receiver.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If there isn't a tuner, you can also find an old VCR and use the one in that. Do DVD players have tv tuners built in? I didn't think they did...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Now that I think about it, you may be right. The one I have hooked up in my daughters room is a dvd/vcr combo and I run the cable through the tuner in it. I don't think any of my regular dvd players has a tuner.

Go with what he said, vcr, yeah, that's what I meant

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no cable box. This is a dorm room, so all we get is a cable that comes out of the wall. I have no idea what goes on between the cable in my room and where the cable comes into the school...but I dont think we have a tuner anywhere in that, so I'm on my own.

FYI, I think I'm switching TV's. My reasoning behind it, doing more research, is I think I found a better deal. The one I was looking at, I'd need to buy a stand and the HDMI blade AND a sound system, so even though they have a good warranty deal going on now, its still expensive when I add all the parts I need to get at once in order to even watch TV. Now, I'm looking at getting the Westinghouse LVM-47W1. Same price to ship it to my door, but it comes with stand/HDMI/speakers, so I can wait a bit on getting the sound system (budget reasons...if I can wait a little longer, I can get something better
)

Anyway, looking at the Westy specs, it says it's HDTV ready, and has a NTSC TV Tuner. Does this mean that I'd be able to connect my non-HD cable line coming into my dorm room to the TV, and that is the tuner I'd otherwise need a VCR for?

Thanks again, guys!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzer73 /forum/post/0

Do DVD players have tv tuners built in? I didn't think they did...

I think I've only seen one or two that were part of a STB/receiver job, and I don't think they count. Every other player I've seen just played DVDs and CDs.

DVD recorders tend to have tuners, though.

Most DVD/VCR combos have tuners for the VCR part.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPOnion /forum/post/0

Anyway, looking at the Westy specs, it says it's HDTV ready, and has a NTSC TV Tuner. Does this mean that I'd be able to connect my non-HD cable line coming into my dorm room to the TV, and that is the tuner I'd otherwise need a VCR for?

Yeah, you can get the analog standard def channels if it has the NTSC tuner.

For HD or digital channels, you'll need a cablecard or a STB. That's what the "HDTV ready" means. It can display HD signals, but it can't tune them itself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts