AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new around here and was hoping to get some advice.

First some info, I am almost done finishing my basement. It's an odd room that's 27 feet long and 12 1/2 feet wide. Except for one end where my washer/dryer are now enlcosed in a sheetrock home/small seperate room, that is 6' X 3'. The ceiling is seperated into three section by long support beams, which are doubled up 2X8's which run across the width of the room, dividing it into three sections.

All the plumbing is in the middle section so the drop ceiling I installed in the middle section is 6' 8" high, while the ceilings on the ends are a full 7'. So the middle ceiling is flush with the bottom of the beams, while the end ceilings are raised up. The middle of the room will have a TV & stereo set up along the long wall with surround sound and the main front speakers against one 27', wall, facing the other. I know this isn't ideal, but it has to be this way.

Anyway. I've been looking into getting a new audio system. I haven't bought speakers in about 12 years so I'm a little out of the loop. I've been looking at Klipsch and Axiom mostly. I was wondering what opinions anyone may have on what I need for that room? FYI, the systen will of course be used for watching sports, movies, etc. but I also listen to a lot of music and I want a system that I can crank to "11" and listen to very loud, aggressive music, from Death Metal and Power Metal, among other things. For thsi reason I am shying away from bookshelf type speakers. I woudl like to keep my budget under $2300 if possible, I mean the least amount of money the better of course, but I want quality also. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Klipsch would be a good choice for some that you could "crank to 11" as you put it. They should be able to play very loud. As for model numbers, couldn't tell you. Don't know much about the Axiom's, so can't comment there. Another option would be some speakers from Ascend, they are extremely well regarded speakers that convey source material very well. a 5.0 set with 2 floorstanders, center and bookshelf surrounds would run you about $1200 shipped, or you could even step up to 4 floorstanders. Coupled with a HSU or SVS sub, they would certainly fulfill your expectations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.