AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed my horn speakers from Madisound and use them for front channels and now want to get them to blend with the rest of my speakers and decor. I want to either paint them black or give them a black ash look which is available from partsexpress.com - they come in a peel and stick material or peel, lay down and use an iron material. Since I have never done any of these, I would like to hear your advice/experiences.

Painting it or staining it appears to be the easiest option but I do like black ash

Thanks in advance

Neville

·
Registered
526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville /forum/post/0

I want to either paint them black or give them a black ash look which is available from partsexpress.com - they come in a peel and stick material or peel, lay down and use an iron material. Since I have never done any of these, I would like to hear your advice/experiences.

The vinyl product at PE has good instructions, you should have no difficulty following them to get the black ash look on the cheap, if that is what you want. I look forward to using that product on some speakers for friends.

I'm also happy it is around as an inexpensive "fall back position", if I can't master the finer points of veneering.

If you go that way, let us know your impressions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure what finish your other speakers have but if they're like the black ash from Partsexpress, go for it. It is very easy to work with.

On the other hand if they are not black ash they will look like every other speaker with that finish.. plastic wood. One option I would consider is Rustoleum Textured black spray paint and cover with polyurethane so its easier to maintain. I used it on the floorstander you see below. Varathane Satin is water based and dries with a hair dryer in a couple of minutes. Or if you prefer you can use Minwax semi-gloss (oil based).

Another fav of mine is Rustoleum Hammered finish which I used on the bookshelf sides you see (in brown though).

And if you're gonna spray paint get a respirator. $30 now is a lot cheaper than your medical deductible will be years from now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sgtreese, your floor standing speaker finish is impressive. Since I use it as a stereo and home theater, i want to avoid any shiny speakers. I had Quad 22L towers before my diy horn speakers and the piano finish was great but was a dsitraction when light/video form my projector screen would bounce off them.

Most of my speakers from Boston Acoustics & Velodyne do not have Black Ash but more of a matte black finish - I have always liked black ash since I had Linn speakers - that way its also not very glossy.

My only concern with parstexpress' peel and stick is that my speakers are not the usual 4 straight sided box. Here is a link to show exactly what my speakers look like : http://madisound.com/bk16.html .

It would take quite some effort in hiding those seams, which is why I am leaning towards a stain or varnish (even though I prefer "peel and stick")

btw, do peel and stick really stick on forever or is there maintenance involved ? do you need to get a glue to put on the wood surface first before sticking ?

Thx for all the inputs so far....much appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.