AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a room in my basement that I am trying to configure to use as a dedicated hometheater room. There are no windows in the room. My projector is a low-end one (and I may upgrade in time). It is a 1030q1 with scan rate at 32Khz with dvdo iscan. My room's configuration is as shown in the attached picture. What I want to know is whether I can locate the projector in the storage area and project thru a cut-out window in the wall onto the screen in my home theater room? What adjustments will I need to make to the projector to enable focus, etc? Also, will I be able to get the image onto the 80" wide screen?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
CRT's unlike digitals don't give you any play in where you can put the projector. There will only be one good place to put the projector and that will depend on how big you want the screen. They don't have zoom lenses or anything like that. I don't know to much about the 1031 but I can say with a lot of certainty that a 15 foot throw distance will be much more than a 80" screen.

·
Registered
198 Posts
At that distance you might find that you aren't maximising your raster size - you'll need to be much closer to use the maximum phosphor size for a 80" screen. See the 1031q manual for distance vs projected image size.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Based on my experience with my projector (NEC PG6)....15ft is too far away...don't even try it. To get the image down to 80" you will have to shrink the image down on the tube face and you will likely burn your tubes.

Even though you may not want to hassle with it.....you really need to mount it on the ceiling. This is just a guess....but 9-10 feet might be closer to what you need.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, thanks for all the input... looks like my intended configuration is not feasible.... Let me tell you all why I thought of that configuration in the first place....

The reason I wanted the projector in the other room (not mounted on the ceiling) is that my boss (aka wife) says that she doesnt want to see an unsightly projector hanging down from the ceiling! What do y'all suggest as arguments in favor of hanging projector from ceiling that a spouse would accept (I know I am opening myself up for some wisecracks here!!!) ... go ahead!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tell her its a beautiful piece of engineering. Tell her that once its up there she'll wander into the room, just to gaze at the gorgeous beige plastic and those three big round headlights.

·
Registered
198 Posts
To clarify - tell her that the projector is beautiful. She gets mad, slaps you, then leaves. You are then free to put the projector wherever you choose.

Sucess is 100% guaranteed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Build a nice looking hush box to go over the projetor.

·
Registered
609 Posts
since you have a storage room, tell her instead you can invert the room layout and set it up for rear projection. Then tell her an 80" wide frensel RP screen is around $10,000. Maybe then she will reconsider the ceiling mount...

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
tell her if she doesn,t like it on the ceiling in the new home theatre room maybe she would like it better on the bedroom ceiling, thats what i told my "significant other" and meant it , she knew i was serious and after a family meeting saw the wisdom of having it in the basement........

·
Registered
840 Posts
Get the projector set up properly on the floor so that the picture is really nice....hopefully you have it attached to a good source....and have her watch a movie with you.

Chances are good that she will be so thrilled that she won't care where the damn thing goes.

But the bottom line is you don't have a choice....you can't have the projector in the storage room....unless you put the screen 6 feet in front of the projection wall.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
according to the manual if you want a 80 inch screen you would probabaly have to position the 1031q about aproximattelly 95 3/4 inches for a 72 inch screen, ceiling mount,floormount,96 5/8 ths for the same72 inch screen so from there just move it back a litlle to get to your 80 inch desired measurement..............

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Don't know if it's possible in your room but you could lower the ceiling to semi-enclose the PJ (or whatever you call it).

There are some nice pictures of such solutions floating around.

One guy had only the tubes sticking out from the ceiling.

·
Registered
733 Posts
With my first PJ (an NEC 9PG) which is much larger than the Sony (I have a 1031Q now), this is what I did. As mentioned above, set up the PJ on the floor (a rolling cart is the easiest way) and get the picture looking REAL GOOD. Invite several people over (NOT all guys, teenagers are a good choice and some SELECTED females). Pick an IMPRESSIVE movie, like Vertical Limit or Braveheart (this is no time for Driving Miss Daisy). After all the WOW, COOL, AWSOME comments (women like compliments on their home) my wife was inviting people over to the THEATER. Although my wife still doesn't LIKE the PJ on the ceiling see NEVER mentions it. See did comment that it was "in the way" on the floor.

Visit my theater at WWW above.

Good luck,

Jawhn

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I might add that the 1031 with a simple fan swap, (REAL EASY) can be virtually dead silent as well, even though you have to have it in the same room. Most other projectors won't run that quiet....

The only other option is a bulb projector (GHASP!) with a long-throw lens on it. Expensive!

Marc

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey folks - I read all the suggestions (including the wisecracks - guess I asked for it!). The most sensible one in my opinion was Jawhn's - see post 14 in this thread. He must be a marketing guru in addition to a CRT guru. His approach is surely a master stroke!!!! Jawhn - you da man!!!!! Your theater is exactly what I was aiming at - I already have a SONY 61HS30 in there. I was planning on putting a CRT based projector to view 16X9 movies, and keep the RP TV to watch regular TV. I have one question for JAWHN - I saw your home theater set up and want to know how you mounted the PJ on the ceiling. Also, a question for TINMAN Marc - What fan swap did you do, and how didya do it?

Thanks for all answers.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I put in a set of slower NMB fans found here:

http://www.svc.com/80nmb253pinf.html

Very easy to do. Takes 15 minutes. SUPER quiet, and still enough air. I have been running a 1030 like this for a few months now. Just unscrew the old ones, cut the wires and splice the new ones to the old wires. Re-mount everything, and test it. They are a tiny bit thicker but fit nicely. I have 7 of these in my computer and can't hear it. I have been buying these in lots of 10 or more.

Marc

·
Registered
733 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.