AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with my PSHD-105 STB (aka RCA DTC-100). For background reference, I have 3 DirecTV receivers, including this one. None of them are exhibiting this problem.

A few weeks ago, I was having problems with the Sat. C channels. About every 15-20 seconds, the screen would go blank for a split second and say "Searching for Satellite Signal." The problem was intermittent to the extent that some days it would happen every 15-20 seconds, and other days there would be NO dropouts.

A DirecTV installer came, and changed the output used on the multiswitch for the Sat. C. LNB. Now, Sat. C works great -- the problem has not repeated since. However, I now have the same exact problem on Sat. A. These dropouts occur on all Sat. A channels -- both HD and SD.

Does anybody here have any idea what this could be? Obviously, DirecTV is not always the most helpful. I am wondering if this PSHD-105 is more sensitive than other STBs, as these problems do not exist on my other STBs. Regardless, I believe problems must be originating somewhere between the LNB and multiswitch.

Any info you could provide would be great.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NEW OBSERVATION (A STRANGE ONE!!!):

When I leave the STB powered on in another room, these dropouts disappear! As soon as I power it off, they reappear. For whatever reason, the stability of this signal depends on whether my other receiver is powered up.

Does this clue anybody in to a possible solution so I do not have to leave the other D* STB powered on to receive trouble-free service on my other STB?

· Registered
98 Posts
I had a similar problem when I had my Sony tivo and the DTC100's on the same multiswitch. I tried several combinations, and the best result for me was 2 dishes; one for my 3 DTC100's (Oval 3 LNB), and the other for all the other Sony and Hughes receivers(round 2 LNB).

· Registered
3,687 Posts
How about the possibility of line reflections, ground loops, etc.

Isnt this black magic fun. The more stuff one adds, the more the

correct "enviornment" becomes important.

Dave

· Premium Member
13,009 Posts
I once had this happen on my Sat C system. The error was corrected after rebuilding my dish with all new LNB's including a new Sta C LNB. It did go away with that change but I had the foresight to take some measurements first. With my older LNB's the voltages on the system at the dish were running 16.5 and 11.0 volts. After making the investment in new LNB's the voltages were up to 17.6 and 12.1. All I can say is the older LNB's were just loading down my system to a point that it would loose signal. In my case the Loss of sat signal and inability to switch was due to loading of the switching power supply and the newer LNB's are higher impedance and load the system less allowing the voltage levels to be more within design specification. I was also told by RCA tech support that my older switch should be upgraded but I made the LNB switch first and it worked.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: D* sent an installer out today who removed the multiswitch/dish and installed a new 3LNB dish. The problems have disappeared, and hopefully this is the end of this story.

Now, back to recording with my 169time system!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.