AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I currently have the option of purchasing either one of the above two setups for roughly the same price and need some feedback with regards to quality, and whether or not going the Paradigm route is worth sacrificing the two surrounds for the time being. I have not heard either in person, and unfortunately cannot find a place in Toronto that carries them, so first-hand anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, the Paradigm speakers are used (4 years), while the Energy setup is new with Warranty.

Also, which sub would you recommend to go with either setup? For the Energy, I've read good things about the ESW-V8. Not sure about the Paradigm.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30,146 Posts
the Paradigm Monitor lineup (which includes the Titans) is approximately on pair in quality with the C-Series from Energy -- both are the "entry level" offering. The Titans though are larger than the C-50, a pair of C-200's or C-100's would be a fairer comparison.

Basically, they are approximately similar in quality so it's impossible to say which is "better" as some prefer the Paradigm sound, some prefer the Energy sound. The Titans do have the advantage of size though.... you should make sure what version they are as there have been I think 6 or 7 different iterations of "Paradigm Titan" and, at a certain point, getting a new speaker with warranty might be a better option.

I can't believe that, in Toronto, you don't have the option to go listen to Energy or Paradigm. They are Canadian speakers and you are in the biggest city in Canada!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
I can't believe that, in Toronto, you don't have the option to go listen to Energy or Paradigm. They are Canadian speakers and you are in the biggest city in Canada!!

That's what I thought...called several of the 'authorized dealers' indicated on Energy's website (including Bay/Bloor and the Sony Store) and for some reason they've stopped carrying them

I haven't looked as much for Paradigm yet; let's hope for a better luck

My room is about 9'x13', would I really need to go bigger than c-50? Thanks!

·
Registered
30,146 Posts
need? what's "need" got to do with any of this?!

Doesn't Futureshop carry Energy? Paradigm and Energy have a slightly different sound (Paradigm is "brighter" and can sound a little crisper or harsher on the high end, whereas Energy is a more neutral and "smooth") so you might want to give a listen before buying. Both are excellent though and pack a lot of value in their entry-level offerings.

If you just want to buy once and be done with it, a 5-speaker pack of C-50/C-C50 is a great buy and will sound awesome in a small room with a sub added in. You get peace of mind on a new product with warranty. Don't know if you have the option or the budget to do so, but upgrading the fronts to C-100's would be a nice step up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
upgrading the fronts to C-100's would be a nice step up

Would the difference between the C-50 and C-100 be significant in my size of room?

I can't afford to go with the C-100, but perhaps it might be a reason to go with the Paradigms (I understand that the Titans are comparable in size)

Another option would be perhaps to buy the c-50 setup and perhaps add another pair of c-100 at a later date for a 7.1 setup... would the cc-50 center be up to par in that scenario, or would I have to upgrade it as well?

The c-50 setup is currently on sale for $250 at wwstereo.com--the price is very tempting...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts