AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my Bose cinemate system.

I plan on picking up a Sony receiver at best buy for 210. I think the model is dsr-hd500 it is a 5.1 that has 100w per channel.

I want to start with 2 klipsch rb-61's for my fronts and eventually get a sub.

This should work out well right? Will this receiver/speaker combo work out well? Will it be enough to drive these rb-61's?

I will be getting this all tommorow so all the help is definately needed.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I'm no audio guru so please excuse.

· Registered
1,486 Posts
What about the Jamo C401's? Vanns has them for $80. a pair plus $80. for a matching center speaker. You probobly wont want to wait for them to ship though.

I havnt heard either but they look like a good deal.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/ca...jamo-speakers/

· Registered
2,327 Posts
I would pass on the Sony receiver if I where you. Save your money and get something that will perform better. It may not cost a whole lot more. Saving your money and building your system slowly is a good idea. I would suggest an Onkyo receiver. I have always been very satisfied with them. Sony makes some very good products. The PS3, for example. Receivers are not one of them.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The most I plan on doing on it is a 2.1 maybe 3.1

So what are the cons with a Sony receiver?

But all the Watts sound like there matched up well right?

· Registered
1,379 Posts
I get a refurbished receiver from Onkyo, Marantz, or HK before I would get a low end receiver like Sony. I just don't think Sony's quality even come close to the three brands I listed.

As for Klipsch, give it some time when you listen to them. You may or may not like them. I found out that I like them for Movies but didn't for Music. Are you only looking into bookshelf?

· Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG35s /forum/post/18127002

The most I plan on doing on it is a 2.1 maybe 3.1
So what are the cons with a Sony receiver?

But all the Watts sound like there matched up well right?

Super weak amps. Bad quality control. Built in obsolesence. I had one good Sony receiver 25 years ago, and it lasted almost 10. Because of that one, I bought 2 more. Neither made it more than 6 months. Absolute crap.

The names you were given above are good, can't really go wrong with any of them: Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Harman Kardon. Yamaha makes a decent product, too, according to some. I have a refurbished HK AVR 445, and it has satisfied me immensely.

You don't need to match wattages or anything, just need enough amp to drive whatever speakers you are buying. So maybe decide speakers first, so you know how much amp you will need to drive them. 6-8 ohms, 89-91 db sensitivity, 50 true watts per channel (not the BS most makers tell you their amps make) should be ok. Any speakers whose ohm load dips below that, you will need more power. 4 ohm speakers will probably need dedicated amplification (not a just a receiver, but a true amplifier).

Hope that helps.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have about 800.

I like the klipsch RB. Floorspeaks are out of my budget for klipsch.

what about Yamaha's receiver?

Thanks guys for the help. Almost. Bought Sony.

· Registered
1,379 Posts
I have read mostly good thing on Yamaha receiver but I also read that their lower end aren't built like they use to or built to standard like their higher end. So do your research on whatever model you are going to buy.

Since you like Klipsch, maybe you should audition the Bic Acoustech as well. The Acoustech was built to compete against Klipsch. Seems like most owners who liked Klipsch was very happy with their purchase of Acoustech. It doesn't come with the name recognition of Klipsch but it is definately a bang for the buck. Who knows, maybe you can and maybe you can't tell the difference between the two.

· Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG35s /forum/post/18126648

I'm no audio guru

Well, when it comes to choosing a receiver these days it's more about video and hdmi features. You'll want to make sure what you buy can handle any video devices you want to attach.

You should probably do some more thinking about what you need and reading before taking the plunge. Unless all you want is the most basic audio setup, and you only plan to attach 1 DVD or Blu Ray player to it.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm planning on running optical out of TV to opt on on receiver.

No video passthrough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/18128181

Well, when it comes to choosing a receiver these days it's more about video and hdmi features. You'll want to make sure what you buy can handle any video devices you want to attach.

You should probably do some more thinking about what you need and reading before taking the plunge. Unless all you want is the most basic audio setup, and you only plan to attach 1 DVD or Blu Ray player to it.

· Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG35s /forum/post/18128480

I'm planning on running optical out of TV to opt on on receiver.

No video passthrough.

May want to rethink that, and run optical out of your components to the receiver. Many HDTVs won't deliver full five or seven channel sound to the receiver.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I ended up getting a yamaha rx-v365 and (2) klipsch rb-61's and a klipsch sw-350 subwoofer. WOW : ) BLOWS BOSE OUT OF THE PUDDLE! I am so glad i gave up my bose cinemate. I watched Quantum of Solace the other night and i couldnt wipe the grin off my face.

Now im just really considering a center channel - klipsch rc-10 or rc-52.

If the rc-52 is showing 125w and my reciever is showing 100w per channel will this pose any conflict?

Thanks fellaS, Almost bought the sony reciever.

· Registered
29,554 Posts
In real world measurements that RX-V365 wont put out 100 watts per channel. But that's okay as Klipsch are very efficient and dont need much power to drive them. Dont worry about the max power handling of either center.

Get whichever one works best for your budget. Appears to be about $100 difference.

· Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
751 Posts
You really can't take much away from the manufacturer power ratings. A spec with all channels driven at full bandwidth is much more realistic indication than output at one frequency with just one channel driven. Easy things to look for when shopping receivers are the size of the power supply and the quality of the heatsinks. The bigger the PS, the better, in general. I hate the thin heatsinks in most receivers that are made of stamped aluminum pieces. A true high power receiver is going to need extruded aluminum heatsinks.

Check out the entry level Denons, for example. Just about everything out there except top line offerings from mass market or the gear from NAD or Cambridge Audio skimps on heatsinks. If you want a better built Sony, gotta look at the ES line. But, to be fair, there standard receivers are comparable to every one else's low end, at least in build quality.

I used to have an older 6.1 Marantz that was really overbuilt. Flashy but unnecessary features like a copper bottom plate. I switched to a newer HK mainly because I wanted Logic 7 processing and power for 7 channels. The power supplies are not torroids but there are two of them for the front and surround channels. And they are oversized. The heatsink is of the thin stamped variety, however. The receiver gets hot, so I just made sure it has LOTS of room to ventilate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.