AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking delivery on an XG135LC shortly with ~ 3100 hours on it. I have personally auditioned the projector and performed some needed tweaking to it and have obtained a decent image from it. Currently my 1270 has a better image but that is after 2 years of tweaking. The NEC that I'm getting has a good amount of blue burn and the grey scale is just whacked (prior to tweaking but still not correct). The blue burn is very visible in a white field and the red and green show some anomalies as well.

The reason I'm purchasing this projector is primarily for the chassis. That is, I intend to replace ALL the tubes and completely recalibrate the projector. I believe that the total investment in the end will be competitive to purchasing the same model with 0 hours.

My question is given that I will put between 500 to a thousand hours of viewing (16x9) a year on the unit, and don't expect to see break throughs in the digital projectors until the digital TV mandate in 2006, should I go for new NEC tubes or the remanufactured stuff from VDC. I'm confused about the price/quality issues with replacing these tubes based on the posts I've read so far. Even at $650 a pop for new NECs (if there is such a thing) I will be in the range of what a zero hour XG135LC would be worth, I think!

Should I just go for the new tubes? Based on my viewing habits, I expect this projector will provide a strong image for 4 to 6 years. Everything I've read about it tells me this is a good unit to invest in.

This is the 1351 model from 1997.

Thanks,

Marc

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Marc

IMO you should get new tunes from NEC. I have read conflicting reports re the quality of the rebuilds and it sounds like you have budgeted for new anyway.

Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Marc,

Concerning Video Display Corporations quality, if you have never bought from VDC, we only provide the highest quality product with our customers service as paramount. We have the most competitve prices of any respected company in the business. It would be my responsibility to make sure that you are pleased with our products and I along with my associates will be available to you to answer any questions you may have.

We have the ability to sell all new tubes with new hardware and components direct from the various brand name companies with significant savings to the customer if so requested.

Jonathan Ordway

Video Display Corporation

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Jonathon

I am impressed. A manufacturer who actually looks at the forum.

In my post I suggested that the rebuilds may or may not be as good as the originals. ("conflicting reports") I would like to clarify something for you and all the members who may have read my post.

While I have had some experience with rebuilds I have never done a side by side comparison with new vs rebuild so I am probably not qualified to make a judgement. My post was based mostly on what I have read from senior members and resellers using the tubes. I am sure most of them have never done a real side by side either.

My apologies to VDC if I came across as negative towards the product.

Steve

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I'm not trying to be critical here, just relating what I saw in one instance of one tube being replaced with a VDC rebuilt tube. The replacement tube would not focus properly with the magnetics put on conventionally and proper, uniform focus could only be achieved with ALOT of work. There was an X of unfocussed area across the tubeface. VDC was very supportive of their tube quality, and sent a replacement, but I'm not sure of the eventual result. The big negative to it all was the non perfect initial tube meant extra shipping expense and ALOT of extra time involved. I had been planning on VDC rebuilds for my 9501LC but if I had to pay extra shipping for returning a less than perfect tube, it would drive the cost of the replacement beyond my means. I'll look for good used original tubes for now.

With NEC factory tubes still available at a good price, personally, I would not risk rebuilt tubes being less than perfect the first time. I'm sure VDC is a great company and they seem to absolutely stand behind their work, but if you can do it right the first time no questions(buying factory new tubes), for the same or LESS, why would you hesitate ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.