AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I am in the need of some advice. It's been a few years since I have kept up with the industry and I feel lost!
Anyway, the wife is letting me do some upgrades so our home theater and I just ordered the new Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray player to compliment my current Denon 3910. I have been using a Meridian 561 for the last few years to run my 2 ch audio and home theater. Since we are getting the Blu-Ray, I wanted to upgrade the Meridian. I would like advice on used processors between $1000 and $2000 that will give me the same quality 2 ch audio that my Meridian has but allows me to process video and more current home theater sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My current setup:


Panasonic 50 inch plasma

Meridian 561M

McIntosh MC352

McIntosh MC2255

McIntsoh MC162

B&W Nautilus 802, HTM 1, and 805's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,801 Posts
Not likely. For BluRay, you want decoding for the HD audio (unless your player can do that and output PCM). There are, probably, too few on the used market that will do that and fewer that can compete with the Meridian for 2 channel audio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/14180705


Not likely. For BluRay, you want decoding for the HD audio (unless your player can do that and output PCM). There are, probably, too few on the used market that will do that and fewer that can compete with the Meridian for 2 channel audio.

We pre ordered the Elite BDP-05FD, I am fairly certain it can output the HD Audio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ever43 /forum/post/14180807


We pre ordered the Elite BDP-05FD, I am fairly certain it can output the HD Audio.

As PCM? If not, your choices are more restricted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Maybe use a cary from the analog outs otherwise everyone is switching to hdmi and a good match for your gear will be expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatanika /forum/post/14181184


Kal don't you use a meridian pocessor?

In my main music system, yes. Not in the one I use for HT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ever43 /forum/post/14183932


Well, I convinced the wifey to let me spend 3k. Does that give me some options?

Currently, only the Integra/Onkyo or NAD prepros at
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kal,


Since our TV is just 1080i and don't plan to get a new one for at least 4 or 5 years, I was looking at the Lexicon MV-5. Any thoughts? The Cary looks interesting as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ever43 /forum/post/14184422


Kal,


Since our TV is just 1080i and don't plan to get a new one for at least 4 or 5 years, I was looking at the Lexicon MV-5. Any thoughts? The Cary looks interesting as well.

I do not know the Lex, so I cannot comment on it. Will it process mch PCM via an HDMI input? If so, it should do.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,570 Posts

Quote:
I would like advice on used processors between $1000 and $2000

Onkyopro 885/integra 9.8.

Quote:
that will give me the same quality 2 ch audio that my Meridian has but allows me to process video and more current home theater sound.

Well that would be opinion based so it would be up to you.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top