AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!

I am currently facing a dilemma and would like your help and advice in order to decide. My Rel T3 recently died after 5 years of excellent service, except for a little exchange of the amp plate under warranty. This time both the amp and the driver died. Sub was connected to a UPS. The local dealer has agreed to pick up the labor and charge me for the parts for a total of $350.00 not including the actual shipping charges. My room is close to 2000 cu ft and the REL was satisfying my needs for musicality and blended perfectly with my Spendors S 3/5. So, the question is, should I repair or go a different path? My local options are B&W, Paradigm, PSB and Polk. Internet options depend on how much they charge to ship to Puerto Rico. Use is 60% music 40% movies

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcaribe  /t/1421529/advice-needed-repair-or-buy-new-sub#post_22243856

My Rel T3 recently died after 5 years of excellent service, except for a little exchange of the amp plate under warranty.

What is a "little exchange"? Is that the same as a new amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcaribe  /t/1421529/advice-needed-repair-or-buy-new-sub#post_22243856

This time both the amp and the driver died. Sub was connected to a UPS. The local dealer has agreed to pick up the labor and charge me for the parts for a total of $350.00 not including the actual shipping charges.

Do you know what killed the driver and amp at the same time? Did your UPS have a problem? Did your house get hit by lightning or something? Did the amp take out the driver?

If the amp was at fault I'm not sure I'd want to replace it a 2nd time. To me that sounds like a design flaw, and you may end up having to do the same thing all over again in another few years (or perhaps even sooner).

·
Registered
12,078 Posts
One option is just to skip the plate amp replacement for $350 and buy a pro amp like the Inuke DSP 1000 for $300 - 10% off coupon = $270.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-inuke-nu1000dsp-power-amp

That's assuming to Jim's point that the sub still works and wasn't damaged.

The Inuke amp will be more powerful, more reliable, and allow for a DSP functionality to better tailor your sound to your room and liking. It's a more compicated solution, but in the end will be very rewarding. You'd likely need to learn a product called REW, or perhaps purchase some other sort of FR capturing device like the omnimic or xtz room analyser so you could see what's going on. I wouldn't blame you for ignoring this suggestion because it is more complicated that simply replacing your amp, but I wish I had done something similar with the amps that died on my subs over and over for several years, instead of replacing those darn expensive plate amps that just will continue to have reliability problems. I had infinity HPS-1000 subs and the amps failed three times on me. I spent over $600 fixing them, and for well under that price I could have bought something like an Inuke DSP 3000 that would have powered them even better than the plate amps and had the option of customizing and perfecting my frequency response tailored to be flat at my listening position. It just depends on how deep you want to go.

Alternatively you might consider buying a plate amp from parts express for cheaper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1421529/advice-needed-repair-or-buy-new-sub#post_22244687

"What is a "little exchange"? Is that the same as a new amp?"

Yes it was a new amp plate.

"Do you know what killed the driver and amp at the same time? Did your UPS have a problem? Did your house get hit by lightning or something? Did the amp take out the driver?

If the amp was at fault I'm not sure I'd want to replace it a 2nd time. To me that sounds like a design flaw, and you may end up having to do the same thing all over again in another few years (or perhaps even sooner).

Neither the tech or I know what happened to both the driver and the plate. I do not think it was a power surge. The whole house has a surge protector at the breaker box and the sub was connected to a Triplitte UPS surge battery. Nothing else in the room has had any problem. I agree with you in that it could be a design flaw and really do not want to try again.

To Archaea

"Alternatively you might consider buying a plate amp from parts express for cheaper."

I have been looking also for that solution as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts