AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would REALLY appreciate some advice. Narrowed down two HDTVs for my family and need help in deciding which is best. One is LED/LCD and the other is a Plasma...both roughly the same size.

TV use by family in order of importance: 1) PS3 Video Gaming (tons of gamers in this house) 2) Streaming Netflix from PS3 3) Blu-ray movies.

Concerns:

Major concern over "Input Lag" which as many of you know has nothing to do with "Refresh Rate" and Pixel "Response Time". The plasma noted above obviously has a better refresh rate (600 vs 240) and Pixel Response time (.001 ms [I think] vs 4 ms. But bad input lag means horrible gaming for serious gamers...has anyone measured the input lag on either of these TVs? I searched online and in various forums for what seems like forever.

The 2011 Sharp HE LC52LE835U has excellent reports from gamers on using this TV with their "Viper Drive" game mode activated but I think it makes the PQ look bad. The Sharp has perfect ratings on amazon.com for all sizes of this model and people seem to love it. However, I have read MANY reports of some type of sound sync issues. Also not sure of reliability of Sharp in general.

The 2011 Samsung PN51D7000 Plasma has good reviews on amazon as well but can find nothing about the TV and it's input lag. I have read some reports of a couple newer plasmas that had bad input lag. I have also read about some elements of the PQ has issues but no specifics that I can at least understand. Also, I read numerous and recent posts on this forum about the 2011 Samsung 7000/8000 plasmas as having some sort of defect film peeling on display panel!!!

Image Retention on plasma noted above...have read some cases where people where upset about IR on this TV, however it seems to have several anti-IR features that I think would make IR difficult.

-----------------

Thank you so much for any advice/input you can provide because I am TRULY confused on which direction to go.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyloudspeak /forum/post/20525410

Would REALLY appreciate some advice. Narrowed down two HDTVs for my family and need help in deciding which is best. One is LED/LCD and the other is a Plasma...both roughly the same size.

TV use by family in order of importance: 1) PS3 Video Gaming (tons of gamers in this house) 2) Streaming Netflix from PS3 3) Blu-ray movies.

Concerns:

Major concern over "Input Lag" which as many of you know has nothing to do with "Refresh Rate" and Pixel "Response Time". The plasma noted above obviously has a better refresh rate (600 vs 240) and Pixel Response time (.001 ms [I think] vs 4 ms. But bad input lag means horrible gaming for serious gamers...has anyone measured the input lag on either of these TVs? I searched online and in various forums for what seems like forever.

The 2011 Sharp HE LC52LE835U has excellent reports from gamers on using this TV with their "Viper Drive" game mode activated but I think it makes the PQ look bad. The Sharp has perfect ratings on amazon.com for all sizes of this model and people seem to love it. However, I have read MANY reports of some type of sound sync issues. Also not sure of reliability of Sharp in general.

The 2011 Samsung PN51D7000 Plasma has good reviews on amazon as well but can find nothing about the TV and it's input lag. I have read some reports of a couple newer plasmas that had bad input lag. I have also read about some elements of the PQ has issues but no specifics that I can at least understand. Also, I read numerous and recent posts on this forum about the 2011 Samsung 7000/8000 plasmas as having some sort of defect film peeling on display panel!!!

Image Retention on plasma noted above...have read some cases where people where upset about IR on this TV, however it seems to have several anti-IR features that I think would make IR difficult.

-----------------

Thank you so much for any advice/input you can provide because I am TRULY confused on which direction to go.

Some makes "gray out" most of the picture adjustments in game mode, eliminating the possibility of adjusting the picture--I'm pretty sure the Sharp is not one of these so you may be able to make game mode look better.

As for reliability I can only say that in the nearly 5 years I've been selling tvs at a large retailer only 2 brands have never had a failure on any of our display sets--Sharp and Panasonic. We had last year's version of the Sharp you're considering on display on an end cap for over a year running a proprietary demo loop provided by Sharp from a black box connected via HDMI. The set would not stay turned off at the end of the day unless we unplugged the HDMI cable from that black box, which nobody ever bothered to do. As a result that tv ran in torch mode 24/7 for over a year. It looked as good the day we sold it as open box as it did the day we first put it on display. While purely anecdotal the Samsung pn450d43 plasma we put on display last March has failed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts