AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the proccess of building a new house and I decided to go with a pj setup, my questions are as follow, thanks in advance for any replies.

1. Since I'm building should I take advantage of that and mount the pj on the ceiling? vs a table top

2. seating distance would be about 18' , would a 100" or 80" screen be ok for this distance? or do i ned a bigger screen?

3. looking at the new piano coming out, would i need a htpc or scaler to get quality picture from direct tv? how about a progresice scan dvd? do i need a scaler at all?

4. in case i need a htpc i have a dual 1ghz setup with raid, that i can use, what cards would i need to buy, i.e for scaling , audio and so on, i could get the ati 8500dv , but i know i'll still need some other cards , just need recomendations on what i should buy.

any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
1. Ceiling mounts are better if you have small children, pets, or clumsy adults.

2. Generally speaking, you want to be sitting back twice the screen width, otherwise you might notice the pixel structure (you might not care anyway, but 2x back is a good rule of thumb for other reasons as well). Depending on the aspect ratio you choose, 80 - 100" should be fine. In fact, going larger than that with the Piano is not recommended, as it doesn't put out all that much light.

3. You shouldn't need a scaler at all - the Piano handles it for you at least as well as most inexpensive scalers. Since a progressive scan DVD player hardly costs more than an interlaced model, if I was buying fresh I'd probably get a Panasonic RP56. But if you already own a recent model player, keep it - the Piano's deinterlacing is superb.

4. IMO, the performance gain of using an HTPC with the Piano is negligible, while the usability hit is serious. If you're serious about the Piano, you're buying a projector designed for ease of use. That's a good thing - I'd keep things simple.

-avi

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.