Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking at plasmas. I can get the following deal at local dealer

The Panasonic PT42PHD4P package which is the PAN TH42-PHW5 monitor with stand. I understand this a HD model from a year ago. A 5 year extended warranty, that covers everything. This was a demo unit, however, it has been off the floor and packed away for 6 months. I have been assured that the monitor was not torched. I can get this all for under 3700 dollars.

My biggest concern is that there is not a dvi input. I can return it for 60 days not questions asked. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

AJ

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am more concerned about the lack of dvi. I will have the oppurtunity to return it, and be covered for 5years if I keep it. But the lack of dvi bothers me.

Thanks,

AJ

·
Registered
379 Posts
My opinion is never buy a demo unit, especially a Plasma TV demo unit. Who knows how many hours it has on it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
About the dvi-- I believe one of the more respected members of the forum recently said that dvi keeps things in pure digital form, which I would think would be better. I'm not sure exactly how he put it but I think this is pretty close.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You could ask them to hook it up real quick and take a peek at the hours. That's a decent buy for the HD model, but not outstanding. And I'd look real close at what they say the warranty covers before jumping too. A little caution may save a big headache later.

As far as DVI, you just have to decide how important that is to you in the immediate future. I believe you can add a DVI card to that display, but it's not HDCP/HDMI compatible.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Yup.

The TY-42TM4D DVI card is available for the Panny "5" series.

However...

* It's not HDCP compliant (As Moebius mentioned)

* The standard supplied terminal must be removed to fit it (You'll lose the component input)

* MSRP is $445 (Not sure about street prices)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the common thought on no HDCP ability. I understand the issue somewhat but not completely. Will I be SOL in the future with the lack of it. Could Panasonic, or some other company, make one in the future?

Thanks,

AJ

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by politicalpunk
What is the common thought on no HDCP ability. I understand the issue somewhat but not completely. Will I be SOL in the future with the lack of it. Could Panasonic, or some other company, make one in the future?

Thanks,

AJ
See info on HDCP here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=hdcp

All the new 2003 Panasonic Models come with DVI-HDCP input (HDMI for the PX Series).

Also most of the Plasma models from other brands offer DVI-HDCP.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
hours how does that relate to plamsas, do they have a short life expectancy or something?

i can get a demo 42phd4p that has never been in torch mode the several times i have seen it in teh last year, i can get it for under 3300 are teh hd6uy's worth about an extra 900. it comes with full manufactures warranty and 3 year extended

anyway sorry to ask i have been searching haven't seen lot of details.

need to make up my mind by monday night

i see people say they have more features like what?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.