AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I posted a thread a few months ago, but never got a reply and it went off in the archive.

I'm just going to give you a few details about what I listen to, my room, etc.

OK!

Some Arists/Songs/Styles I like : Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, Green Onions (song), The White Stripes, The Beatles (Paul McCartney & Wings), 19-2000 (Gorillaz), etc.

Listening preferences: I like a warmer presentation, but not overblown on the warmth. I listen LOUD (whole house listening
) a lot of the time...and for a long period of time (a few hours)...yes my hearing is fine, thank you.

Other Preference info: I do not watch much TV, although it is part of the system. It's usually something on Fox and the occasional movie here and there. Video Games are on maybe 1 hour a week MAX.

System info: Yamaha HTR-5740, KLH AV5001 (Mains, not HORRIBLE), JBL 4311 (Rears, sound OK, but way better on the last amp they were on)... That's it besides the cheap Magnavox Dvd player I use to play CDs and watch concerts or music videos (movies exist)..

Limitations: I CANNOT get a subwoofer atm, but it'll be next after this. I'm not sure whether to get a receiver or speakers (can be hard to choose sometimes, need more money!). I am LIMITED to the following brands (receiver/speakers), but obviously a few are too expensive; Classe, Rotel, Sony, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Paradigm, Wharfedale, B&W, MartinLogan. Budget limitation = $1000

Room info: ~4000 ft³ ... system set up across width ... a lot of soft objects ... vaulted ceiling ... large open walkway on right side ...

OK!

I've given you what I think is more than enough info (you can always ask if not enough) for you to put together and help me out here! Today I went to the store and listened to some Paradigm Monitor 9's (too bright to me) on a Marantz and some Wharfedale Evolution 40s on a Pioneer Elite Vsx-80txv (not bad, but the Wharfedales seemed to have slightly muddy bass in the 100-200hz region)...

Ok thanks a lot for advice and recommendations etc!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
arande2:

You will probably not like my advice but I mean it to be as helpful as possible. You need to go and listen to as many speakers as you can to find a set that works for you. No one else knows enough to realistically tell you what speakers to buy. You will get folks to say "Buy the ones I bought - they are cool!" but that isn't really helpful. So, listenning to speakers is the only place you will find a good answer. Note that the room (or in your case, the house) you put the speakers in will be one of the primary considerations for how the speakers will actually sound, so you will want to audition speakers in your own house whenever possible. Although this may mean that you will have to pay shipping charges to return speakers from online vendors, spending a $100 to insure that you ultimately get the speakers that sound good in YOUR house is worth the money and time. There is no shorter route. Go listen. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
FWIW, listen to the Paradigm Studios instead of the monitor series. They're pretty different, and I think the Studio 20's should be in your price range. If those are the only speakers you can listen to and you're looking for a warm presentation, the B&W 600 series should be right up your alley (thought the new 600 series are out or on the way out...haven't heard any of the new ones yet).

Scott

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, and don't worry, that's the kinda thing I was looking for.

I remembered a little info more that I forgot.

The reason I am limited to the speakers I am is that I am tied up with store credit at a store where I live and can't do much about it...and they won't let me do in-home auditions (they've had too many problems with it they said)...so I am very limited to what I mentioned.

Yes, I really like the sound of the Studio Series...but are you sure the 20's would be loud enough? Yeah, I guess I'll just have to go listen... I'm going on a 10-mile bike ride with the manager (close family ha) and should get to talk to him Saturday.

I know it may not be a conventional method, but I could do measurements with the 2 pairs of speakers I have on hand and find their similarities (dips, peaks) in order to find a little out about the freq. response of the room?

Yeah, speaker placement and the set-up are pretty important. I'm also planning on bringing on my speakers to compare how they sound in the same room on the same front-end so I can get a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Listen, Listen, Listen...that's just about all I can say as well!
I'm using most of the money in my budget from the store credit, so no online vendors for me!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arande2 /forum/post/0

Yes, I really like the sound of the Studio Series...but are you sure the 20's would be loud enough? Yeah, I guess I'll just have to go listen...

Loud enough? Well, I don't think they're much less efficient than the Monitor 7's...or the B&W's for that matter. When I think LOUD, I think about certain horn loaded speakers that are highly efficient (cough....Klipsch...cough), but I wouldn't characterize them as warm.

Scott

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I would also recommend checking out the B&W DM604 S3. Not sure that you would like them, but I think they are good values. The new 600 line should be out anyday (is it now?), and so the previous generation is being dc's = good deals on demos. I've seen them going for less than 1k locally, but I would be surprised if they didn't sell out. Worth looking into.

Speakers are going to make a bigger difference than amping. Otoh, some speakers, perhaps like B&W's do want quality power. Keep saving up!

for having it LOUD, yep the cough cough Klipsch cough. Otoh, Paradigms seem to be extremely efficient as well, if not quite like horns.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tend to not like the sound of horns.
Yeah I've been saving for a few years now. Lol thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I should say a couple of things.

When I say loud, I don't mean efficiency per se...I mean more like can take a lot of power (I might get more power someday ya know) and has good bass type loud. I'm not quite sure how to describe what I'm saying.

Thanks for any basic knowledge you might provide me about what to look for in design (ported, driver size, etc) or maybe there's a place on this site I can find info on how the speakers work (crossover etc).

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I've requested some specs of the drivers in the speakers and box volume and tuning along with crossover info. If I get some, I can learn some things about the speakers and maybe reconsider my decisions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.