AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. A friend is planning on adding an addition onto his family room to make it bigger. He is thinking about getting a 73" Mits HDTV to go in the room and I've been telling to consider a front projection system as an alternative.

He is leary of a front projection system, due to the cost. Would a front projection system cost substantially MORE than a 73" 16:9 Mits HDTV? The Mits would be a RPTV and NOT a DLP (which would be WAYYY too much.... :))

Thanks.........

Peace.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in that have more experience than me, but I'll give you my excited and current opinion.

If you can control ambient light, then I think front projection should be seriously considered. I don't believe that you have to pay more for the same quality or greater image.

There are a lot of used CRT front projectors available for relatively low prices, and for the same that one would pay for a new RPTV you could get a better bigger image from a used front projector.

I'm so excited about this because there was no way I was going to be able to upgrade from my 32" direct view set for quite some time still, but I was able to pick up a used 7" CRT Ampro 2000D for $30 at a university surplus sale.

I've never used a CRT projector before, but I got it converged yesterday (after a lot of patience), and it is the best $30 I ever spent on my video!

If it were me, I'd encourage him to look at used CRT projectors and at least compare.

Matt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.