AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to set up a 2.0 (possibly 2.1 in the future) for my Mother.

I need to stay within a small budget of about $700 or less.

What I need is a reciever, CD changer (5 or more), and speakers.

For the speakers I think I will be ordering a pair of the Energy RC-10's ($300). These are about as the biggest size my Mom will allow.

Any advice on components would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
a 5 cd changer should be very cheap. I bought a 5 dvd changer once for 59 bucks I think. You could probably go up a little on budget on speakers, maybe a 100 bucks, and still get a decent reciever to drive them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Rotel Integrated Amp on audiogon....nice little unit. (*disclaimer* This is not my unit for sale and have nothing to do with the sale...I just found it in a search)

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....Integrated-amp

Would leave $500 for cd player and speakers.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Not bad, or you could go with a 2-channel receiver like this one . Only $170.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
An AVR may be more complicated than your mother may want. Do you plan to use room correction? Are you going to set it up for her and keep it simple? In addition the more complex the mechanism for a multi disc player the more prone to failure. If you use an AVR, I'd consider a simple hdmi single disc dvd player, use hdmi, run room correction, and set it up so she cuts it on and does the volume.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtee /forum/post/19647405

25 disc changer $157

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AS9UUXZ8KC49B

That's a good price for that, but those things take up a lot of room. If you're going to go with one of those, you might as well go for a 300+1 capacity one, since they're the exact, same size. Something you can stick all or a lot of your collection in, so you don't have to be changing things so often.

Otherwise, stick with a 5-disc changer - it's much, much smaller.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/19647486

An AVR may be more complicated than your mother may want. Do you plan to use room correction? Are you going to set it up for her and keep it simple? In addition the more complex the mechanism for a multi disc player the more prone to failure. If you use an AVR, I'd consider a simple hdmi single disc dvd player, use hdmi, run room correction, and set it up so she cuts it on and does the volume.

Definitely need to keep it simple. By room correction, do you mean calibrating the system (SPL meter, Speaker placement, ect)? I will set it up for her. As far as the AVR complexity, as you said, I would just leave it on the best 2 channel stereo mode for her . I think she needs a disc changer to be happy w/ it. A 5-6 disc changer would probably work fine. Thanks for the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.