AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to shuffle the system a bit, I need to move the 7 ch amp (Outlaw 7125) from the basement HT to the main floor (I have 5 ch and am adding a second zone of 2 speakers outside) and then find a replacement for the basement 7.1 system.

Been looking at Outlaw 7x200 amp (~$1850 new) and the Sunfire 7200 (7x200 used for ~$2000.) What other amps should I keep an eye out for that fall in this range and have similar (or better) quality? I drift to these 2 makers because I have used them before and I know they are solid, but I'll look into anything that is close. Only criteria is that it must be black or dark grey, single ended interconnects, and be around the $2k price range. I can go up to $3k if there is a jump in quality or power, but prefer not to.

Any suggestions? I am comfortable buying used equipment on the forums or at Audiogon.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot23 /forum/post/16920836

It's time to shuffle the system a bit, I need to move the 7 ch amp (Outlaw 7125) from the basement HT to the main floor (I have 5 ch and am adding a second zone of 2 speakers outside) and then find a replacement for the basement 7.1 system.

Been looking at Outlaw 7x200 amp (~$1850 new) and the Sunfire 7200 (7x200 used for ~$2000.) What other amps should I keep an eye out for that fall in this range and have similar (or better) quality? I drift to these 2 makers because I have used them before and I know they are solid, but I'll look into anything that is close. Only criteria is that it must be black or dark grey, single ended interconnects, and be around the $2k price range. I can go up to $3k if there is a jump in quality or power, but prefer not to.

Any suggestions? I am comfortable buying used equipment on the forums or at Audiogon.

Depends on what your intended use is I suppose. I'm surprised you haven't been inundated with Emotiva recommendations which is typical anytime someone asks about amps on these forums. I haven't had any experience with them and have no reason to think there's anything wrong with them.

Music is my first priority and frankly I'm in the camp that amps don't make a significant difference compared to other things you can do or change.

Having said that, I believe the Anthem PVA7 and the NAD Master Series M25 are great value amps in your price range. I really liked them, and critics were really impressed with them too. NAD's build quality is exceptional for the money and Anthem is a bit more utilitarian but also cheaper.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
The Gemstone but it is more than $2000. Sherbourn was good as well. A used Ada PTM-8150 is an excellent amp but with fans and 8 channels. I bought a 5 channel cinenova that was great within your budget but it seems they have gone up in price since then.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Theres a very affordable Emotiva that does 125x7. It's close to 200 watts into 4 ohms though, which I think makes for a pretty good amp. I understand the allure of the magic 200x7 watt figure though. 125 probably gets you within a few dB of the SPL 200 does though. And as it uses a shared power supply, it would not surprise me if it met most people's needs and then some for movie listening - it can do 180 watts / channel into one channel @ 8 ohms at .1 % THD.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, for this setup mostly theater and TV viewing, video game playing. Minor role for music. I have an SVS 12+/2 in the theater though, so I don't want the speakers getting drowned out. The Outlaw 7125 has been dong well, I just thought I'd bump up to 200w while I had the coin. Needs to be 7 ch though, can't use 5 ch amp.

Some good suggestions though, thanks.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot23 /forum/post/16927265

Sorry, for this setup mostly theater and TV viewing, video game playing. Minor role for music. I have an SVS 12+/2 in the theater though, so I don't want the speakers getting drowned out. The Outlaw 7125 has been dong well, I just thought I'd bump up to 200w while I had the coin. Needs to be 7 ch though, can't use 5 ch amp.

Some good suggestions though, thanks.

Well with that sub, your power requirements may not be 200w at all, since you're likely crossing over all your speakers at over 60hz no doubt.

If you set up your system properly your sub shouldn't "drown out" your speakers regardless of the amp. Your speakers may not be able reach the same SPL as your sub can but I doubt you'd be playing video games or watching movies at 112db...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Sherbourn is what I would recommend to you. An excellent amp with gobbs of power. But, most of all, it's reliable. I've even owned a few in my own systems mated with all sorts of different speaker packages.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Well Emo doesn't currently have a 200 wpc x7 amp, but if two boxes doesn't bother you, then an XPA-5 (200 wpc x 5) + UPA-2 (125 wpc x 2) would only be $1,100. Or you could get a XPA-2 instead of the UPA-2, but that does bump things up to $1,600.

There is an option to get black slide trim pieces for the Emo amp sides if that makes a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts