AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,


So I am about a week away from purchasing a new DLP, and after some research, have a few questions:


1. Regarding the Samsung 1080P (5087), is it an enormous improvement over the (5086)? I saw the two at Best Buy, and the difference in PQ seemed minor. Alternatively, I saw the two at Circuit City, and the 5087 clearly looked better. I know that the stores set the TVs up differently, but has anyone compared the two? The 5087 has a better contrast ratio, but otherwise the electronics don't seem too different...


2. I know that, technically speaking, the Samsungs support 1080P over VGA, and thus should work with the Xbox 360. What are people's practical experiences so far? As an X360 owner, this feature makes the Samsungs especially attractive.


3. Are there any reasons (features, customization, etc.) to pick up the Sony A series over the Samsung, aside from PQ? The picture is quite nice, but seems either similar or mildly better than the Samsungs. I ask because a year ago, the Sony RPTV (42A10 in particular) looked much better than their Samsung counterparts. It seems like Samsung caught up this year.


4. Online prices are much cheaper. I'm tempted to buy the Samsung from Amazon or *******. What are peoples' experiences so far?


5. Any recommendations apart from the Samsung? My limit is roughly $1600-$1700. Mitsu and JVC seem like the only interesting alternatives...


Thanks for reading this far, and any answers are much appreciated. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,177 Posts
It all comes down to personal preferences. For DLP, any of the major brands are excellent(Samsung, Mits, and Tosh). The advantage of the Samsung for your Xbox is that it accepts 1080p over HDMI, VGA, and component (if you go with 1080p, that is). Yes, the 1080p sets are better thant he 720p sets (higher resolution and better black levels), but whether the difference is worth the extra price, only you can decide. For LCOS, both Sony and JVC are excellent. LCOS versus DLP -- again, just a matter of personal preference. I personally would never buy a large display online since it is more difficult with repairs or returns, but others have fared well (just make sure it is from an authorized dealer, and make sure to get an extended warranty for any of these displays).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I just picked up Samsungs 56" DLP from best buy today... model HL-s5687w.....The TV was "on sale" for 1999 but they price matched an online ad from an obscure electronics store here in NJ...Ended up getting it for $1745.....Not bad in my opinion. No interest til Jan 2010 as well..... Out of 5 Best Buys, only 2 would go down that low on the price, so if one tells you no, keep trying. I still have to play around with the settings, but so far i am pleased. Good luck


TC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclark828 /forum/post/0


I just picked up Samsungs 56" DLP from best buy today... model HL-s5687w.....The TV was "on sale" for 1999 but they price matched an online ad from an obscure electronics store here in NJ...Ended up getting it for $1745.....Not bad in my opinion. No interest til Jan 2010 as well..... Out of 5 Best Buys, only 2 would go down that low on the price, so if one tells you no, keep trying. I still have to play around with the settings, but so far i am pleased. Good luck


TC

I was at BB yesterday. The salesman I got was clueless, when I asked about the hl-s5087w he said that Sammy didn't make a 1080p 50" DLP. I laughed and told him he was wrong so he got on the computer and found it. Then he tried to order it for me. I told him I needed time to think about and then when he turned around I walked out of the store. I'm getting the 5687W from Amazon for 1669 shipped. BB had it for 1999 + tax, yuk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclark828 /forum/post/0


I just picked up Samsungs 56" DLP from best buy today... model HL-s5687w.....The TV was "on sale" for 1999 but they price matched an online ad from an obscure electronics store here in NJ...Ended up getting it for $1745.....Not bad in my opinion. No interest til Jan 2010 as well..... Out of 5 Best Buys, only 2 would go down that low on the price, so if one tells you no, keep trying. I still have to play around with the settings, but so far i am pleased. Good luck


TC

no intrest until 2010, I don't think so, no way best buy is giving 3 years no intrest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballforever /forum/post/0


no intrest until 2010, I don't think so, no way best buy is giving 3 years no intrest.

It is advertised right on their website.


No interest until January 2010 on all HT purchases, $999 and up, when you purchase in store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow1994 /forum/post/0


Yeah...they were...the deal ended today (1/20). I'm sure they will be offering something like this again in the future. They did the same thing a little over a month and a half ago.

WOW, I'm sorry your right, I take it back. WOW.



deal ends Feb 3, I'm buying anset tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I just got all the paperwork with my new best buy credit card....on there it says the del is good through mid Feburary, but that doesnt mean that they will advertise it. Just remember you may have to try several BB's to get them to come down on the price, but dont pay retail!! Also a different mananger means a different answer....Went Friday and $1850 was lowest they would go, but picked it up at same store Saturday for $1745
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone, quite helpful. Two more quick questions: has anyone encountered any issues with the X360 and Samsung's 1080p connectivity? Or am I looking at smooth sailing?


Secondly, if I can't present a cheaper price from another B&M, is it worth bargaining with Best Buy or Circuit City? $1699 is the cheapest I've seen the 5087, but I'd love to get the sucker down $100 or so...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I would definitely try to get the price down....i only paid 1745 for the 5687, so they can definitely come down. I only have my PS3 hooked up to my new TV, not my 360...as far as 1080p, there arent any 360 games that support that i believe. Unless ur gonna hook up the HD-DVD via 360, then i'm not really sure... Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclark828 /forum/post/0


I just picked up Samsungs 56" DLP from best buy today... model HL-s5687w.....The TV was "on sale" for 1999 but they price matched an online ad from an obscure electronics store here in NJ...Ended up getting it for $1745.....Not bad in my opinion. No interest til Jan 2010 as well..... Out of 5 Best Buys, only 2 would go down that low on the price, so if one tells you no, keep trying. I still have to play around with the settings, but so far i am pleased. Good luck


TC

Abes of Maine is far from obscure. I am guessing that this is who you are talking about since I know that $1745 is their current price and they are in NJ. They have some of the best prices out there. It is not strictly online. They have a store in Edison. I am glad to see that some BBs will match them. I had no idea that individual stores can say no to price matching since it is store policy.


G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballforever /forum/post/0


no intrest until 2010, I don't think so, no way best buy is giving 3 years no intrest.

Yes they are, who cares though if you have to OVERPAY for the product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piilot /forum/post/0


Thanks for the replies everyone, quite helpful. Two more quick questions: has anyone encountered any issues with the X360 and Samsung's 1080p connectivity? Or am I looking at smooth sailing?


Secondly, if I can't present a cheaper price from another B&M, is it worth bargaining with Best Buy or Circuit City? $1699 is the cheapest I've seen the 5087, but I'd love to get the sucker down $100 or so...

For 1699 you can get the bigger 5687W.
 

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
Joined
·
788 Posts
If you really want the 5087 go to TV Authority they are an authorised dealer and are selling it for just under $1200 with free ground shipping from Santa Monics, CA. Or the 5088 is just under $1500 from them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, clearly I would rather spend $1195. Has anyone bought anything from TV Authority? I'm mostly concerned with shipping, in that it may arrive broken. If I was going to purchase the Sammy online, I was going to do it at *******. What are people's experiences? Maybe ******* would pricematch it...?


Edit: I just checked Reseller Ratings and am not impressed. A lifetime ratings of 6.2 and a 6-month rating of 3.05 do not compel a purchase. And now I doubt that I'd get a pricematch...any other online recommendations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piilot /forum/post/0


Hey all,


So I am about a week away from purchasing a new DLP, and after some research, have a few questions:


1. Regarding the Samsung 1080P (5087), is it an enormous improvement over the (5086)? I saw the two at Best Buy, and the difference in PQ seemed minor. Alternatively, I saw the two at Circuit City, and the 5087 clearly looked better. I know that the stores set the TVs up differently, but has anyone compared the two? The 5087 has a better contrast ratio, but otherwise the electronics don't seem too different...


...

There is a huge difference between the HL-S5086W and HL-S5087W. The 86 is only 720p while the 87 is 1080p. Your first comparison probably was with a 720p source on both. The Circuit City comparison probably was with 1080p source.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top