AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Looking for some helpful advice on a new home theater receiver. Going to be running 1 HDMI to my new Samsung LN52b750, So I need:


-To convert a Tivo2's 480i video signal via composit, or preferably s-video. Don't necessarily need to do any upconversion, though.

-Since this is going to be behind a door in a media closet, I need a good on screen display over hdmi, regardless of the source signal. (I hear that the Denon's in my price range will only do OSD over HDMI only when the source is analogue.)

-low heat output, or at least not to much heat

-2 digital & 2 optical audio inputs

-sound enhancement for loud commercials, soft voices, & night time listening (Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume or something equivalent)

-a powered 2nd multizone that can play a 2nd source regardless of what that source is (may be analogue or digital) - having pre-amp outs for that zone would also be nice

-pass through 1080p/24 correctly & untouched

-decode HDMI audio


I've been looking at Denons, Onkyos, Yamahas, Pioneers, 1 Marantz (5003).

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
I believe the Denon 1910 meets all your conditions and is a fine receiver.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the 1910 except for 2 issues.


The issue I've read about of the 1910 only doing OSD over HDMI only when the source is analogue? Can anyone verify this is right/wrong? Are there pictures floating around showing what OSD it will do over HDMI->HDMI & analogue->HDMI?


Also, I have a problem w/ this quote from the manual, "It is not possible to play the digital audio signals input from the HDMI, coaxial, or optical terminals in Zone2. Play using analog connections (stereo)."


Thanks again.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring30 /forum/post/16850211


I like the 1910 except for 2 issues.


The issue I've read about of the 1910 only doing OSD over HDMI only when the source is analogue? Can anyone verify this is right/wrong? Are there pictures floating around showing what OSD it will do over HDMI->HDMI & analogue->HDMI?


Also, I have a problem w/ this quote from the manual, "It is not possible to play the digital audio signals input from the HDMI, coaxial, or optical terminals in Zone2. Play using analog connections (stereo)."


Thanks again.

I can't comment on the OSD on the 1910. But, my older Denon 4802 operates like that. I need a separate connection direct to the set to see the Denon GUI. Now my newer Denon 4308ci works over HDMI connection no matter what the source. So I would venture to guess the 1910 works in the same manner as the 4308ci. With everything pretty much running off of HDMI, it would not make sense to me to not allow the gui to viewed over the HDMI output. You might want to go over to the 1910 forum and ask there. Also check this out http://batpigworld.com/index.html Allot of good info there.


In regards to the second zone only playing analog, that has been my experience on both of my Denon AVRs. Zone 2 is analog audio out only, no matter what the source. No digital formatting like dts, etc. is output, just standard analog audio.


Mike
 

· Banned
Joined
·
7,723 Posts
Run over and look at the 790/1910 thread here on AVS...


But to answer your question there is no OSD using HDMI out past the setup menu...In other words you cannot be watching a movie from your HD player using HDMI to the TV and see a volume bar or volume level numbers or anything like that...


Zone 2 can only play analog sources not optical or coaxial or HDMI...Tuner or CD (connected via L/R output) are the 2 sources I use for Zone 2 out on the deck...


That being said I have the 789 which is a fine machine and highly recommend the Denon line...But don't discount the Onkyo line either...The ONLY reason I got a Denon over my Onkyo was due to the 789 being the newest model with the newest features at a price I just could not pass up from CC the day the closed their doors...I wasn't even in the market for an AVR thats how good the price was...But I am glad I got it because it is excellent...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,637 Posts
Pretty sure the Pioneer 1019 will do everything you need.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
localnet:

From what I understand the Denons require the receiver to be able to upconvert analog video over HDMI, not just convert it to HDMI to use the OSD over HDMI->HDMI. Something to do with the OSD being 480 analog, or something like that.


As for the Zone2 analog only, I am referring to being able to play a digitally connected source over the Zone2 speakers, or output through the Zone2 RCA analog outs. I don't need a digital output to Zone2.


Thanks for your response.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring30 /forum/post/16850388


localnet:

From what I understand the Denons require the receiver to be able to upconvert analog video over HDMI, not just convert it to HDMI to use the OSD over HDMI->HDMI. Something to do with the OSD being 480 analog, or something like that.


As for the Zone2 analog only, I am referring to being able to play a digitally connected source over the Zone2 speakers, or output through the Zone2 RCA analog outs. I don't need a digital output to Zone2.


Thanks for your response.

Got it, as that is how my older 4802 operates, the 4308ci does the conversion. And Zone 2 on my 4802 is analog only, I cannot feed an optical in from my BD player and get it to output to my second zone. The BD player has to be connected to the AVR via RCA to output to the second zone. My 4308ci will output to zone 2 without that limitation.


Sorry for any confusion on my part, still recovering from a party last night and am still froggy.



Actually, my head is killing me...



Mike
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16850384


Pretty sure the Pioneer 1019 will do everything you need.

Not to knock Pioneer, as they make nice sets, but I would stick with the Denon for the Audyssey features it offers. I keep threatening to replace my trusty old Denon 4802 for this very reason. Nothing worse than watching something off of the dish, and have a commercial break only to have my eardrums blown by the sound output of the commercial. That Audyssey Dynamic Volume feature is worth its weight in gold.


Mike
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/16850449


Not to knock Pioneer, as they make nice sets, but I would stick with the Denon for the Audyssey features it offers. I keep threatening to replace my trusty old Denon 4802 for this very reason. Nothing worse than watching something off of the dish, and have a commercial break only to have my eardrums blown by the sound output of the commercial. That Audyssey Dynamic Volume feature is worth its weight in gold.


Mike

I am almost positive that the 1019 has a Pioneer designed solution to equal the Audyssey programs. Same with Yamaha, they make their own solution.


I have no idea how well they work, but the room corrections for both companies are pretty good.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16850487


I am almost positive that the 1019 has a Pioneer designed solution to equal the Audyssey programs. Same with Yamaha, they make their own solution.


I have no idea how well they work, but the room corrections for both companies are pretty good.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, and not to knock Pioneer or Yamaha. But isn't Audyssey the only one with the Dynamic Volume Control? As that is what I was specifically referring to. I know that Onkyo has it, but they use Audyssey too.


Mike
 

· Banned
Joined
·
7,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/16850524


Someone correct me if I am wrong, and not to knock Pioneer or Yamaha. But isn't Audyssey the only one with the Dynamic Volume Control? As that is what I was specifically referring to. I know that Onkyo has it, but they use Audyssey too.


Mike

To a degree...'MIDNIGHT' or 'Late Night' mode on most DD receivers does essentially the same thing and that is not an Audyssey exclusive...Televisions have had volume control for years...long before the digital age came to be standard...


And to be honest it is 'OK' but I am not overly impressed with it...Especially when flipping channels it will not keep the volume at a consistent level as some channels are louder than others and the volume needs to be adjusted accordingly...Once on one channel and it stays on that channel then it is consistent...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/16850557


To a degree...'MIDNIGHT' or 'Late Night' mode on most DD receivers does essentially the same thing and that is not an Audyssey exclusive...Televisions have had volume control for years...long before the digital age came to be standard...


And to be honest it is 'OK' but I am not overly impressed with it...Especially when flipping channels it will not keep the volume at a consistent level as some channels are louder than others and the volume needs to be adjusted accordingly...Once on one channel and it stays on that channel then it is consistent...

Thanks Splicer. And yes, it would be nice if the volume did stay consistent while flipping channels as that is another annoyance to many of us. But, still very happy with the Audyssey DVC in my 4308ci, it does work as advertised and will be at the top of my list when and if I ever replace my old Denon 4802.


What I thought was great in regards to Denon, was the fact that I bought the 4308ci before Audyssey had released the volume control. With a simple internet upgrade, and $100, I was able to download that improvement to my system. Now that speaks volumes in my book, just having the ability to do firmware upgrades to my AVR when something new comes out. At least Denon seems to be taking care of us folks for now and at leasts gives us the option to fork over the cash in regards to Audyssey. Still cheaper than running out and buying a new AVR for a feature someone like myself really appreciates.


Mike
 

· Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mbyrnes:


Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately, the Pioneer only has 1 digital coax audio input. I need 2.


Edit:

Hmmm...the spec's list only 1, but it shows 2 in the 360 degree rotational picture on Pioneer's site. So it may work for me. Thanks.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top