AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just gotten into "retro music" (record playing) and I am in the market for buying a setup(receiver, speakers, and turntable). Since I already have a 37 inch Vizio lcd, I thought it would be cool to incorporate my tv, hdmi dvd player, and xbox360 with the receiver and speakers as well as the turntable. 5.1 surround is not a priority. In fact I am almost set on these Sony floor speakers from BestBuy. All I want (for now) is two floor standing speakers. I noticed that some receivers don't have a "phono" input which the turntable would be for. I also wanted to hook up my Sony upscaling hdmi dvd player to it so it can somehow play through the speakers. Same with my xbox 360. Can someone please point me in the right direction. I also don't want to spend much more than 200 dollars being I am a college student and not a big enthusiast. So a good "starter kit." I appreciate all of your input.

Thankyou.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If 5.1 is not a priority there are some old Dolby Surround receivers with phono inputs out there, if your budget is severely limited. I used to own the H/K AVR20II and it was a first rate stereo and ProLogic (analog) surround receiver, and it had a phono input, as did (I think) all H/K analog surround receivers of that generation. You might check Audiogon or eBay for a good used one, just be sure to ask about the phono input. Your other option, with a new receiver, is to just get a stereo (2 ch) receiver with a phono input, and here again I recommend a H/K stereo receiver. Their fully warranted refurbs are well discounted and sold direct at harmanaudio.com (see "specials"). I think some models even have special connection features for use with iPods or MP3 players. No HDMI switching, however. But if HDMI switching is not critical ( separate HDMI switchers are available) then you might consider a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 pre/pro with a phono input. You will need to add a separate amp, and the matching A-965 amps is a hands down winner in the amps derby. Look for them used at Audiogon for about $600-700 each, or buy a brand new pair from a dealer for well under $2,000 combined. The Outlaw 990 is basically the same unit as the SN P-965 but has DVI switching added and sells new (direct) for $899 due to a special discount. Outlaw also sells pretty good amps but personally I don't think any compare to the A-965.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds Great. Thanks for the input.

I was reading that you can hook up your dvd player and 360 through an optical out audio and hook that up into the back of the receiver. Is it common for all newer receivers to have that?

If I have anymore questions I'll be sure to post.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does a phono preamp do? And why do turntables require a phono input. Can't you just put it into another input? So, does that mean I could get a receiver without a Phono input and I could for example....hook up the phono preamp through the "cd" input and then hook up the turntable through the phono preamp (turntable>phono preamp> cd input)?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Phono cartridges have lower output than a line-level source such as a CD player or tuner. Also, a phono preamp has to apply the RIAA equalization curve (bass boost and treble roll-off) to compensate for the bass cut and treble boost used during the cutting of the master disc. Most stereo receivers have an input for a standard moving-magnet (MM) cartridge though some low-end stereo receivers lack phono preamps. Some higher-end receivers, integrated amps, and preamps have settings for low-output moving-coil (MC) cartridges, which require even more gain. Most popular cartridges are MM or high-output MC, so they work with regular MM phono inputs.

An external phono preamp will work into a CD, aux, or tape-monitor input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts