AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting my feet wet in the world of powered amplifiers so be gentle with my question lol. I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver pushing two SVS Ultra Towers, SVS Ultra Center, 4 SVS SBS-01 surrounds and also have a SVS PB12 Ultra/2 subwoofer. After reading up and talking to the folks at SVS I was thinking I could see quite a difference in my fronts if I ran them off of an amplifier instead of through my onkyo receiver. I had my mind set on an Emotiva XPA-3 at $800 currently. However I have a chance to pick up a Soundstream M-3 for half that price. Now I'd like to save that extra money if at all possible to put towards my Ultra Surrounds. I know the Emotiva is probably quite a bit better but not really sold that I'd see enough difference between the two to justify the double price in my setup. However I've never used either, nor any other amps so relying on some friendly advice from you guys to help me decide. Room is around 12X20 with 9ft ceilings. Watching mostly movies and gaming, not much music. The Emotiva is rated at 200w at 8ohm, the Soundstream is 120w at 80hm, max 160w that's per channel/block. Thanks so much for the advice/help, I truly appreciate it!

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
The NR-809 is rated at 135 W/ch (2 ch), 150 W dynamic power. Doubling power is a 3 dB increase, a just-noticeable increse in loudness, but that will only happen if you are at the max volume levels. The Soundstream gains you nothing, and chances are good the Emotiva will not provide an audible improvement (though if you buy it you will convince yourself it is better, human nature). I'd save ALL the money you plan to spend on an amp and get the speakers instead. Or room treatments. Or just more games and movies.

IMO - Don

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Don, I do appreciate it and was on the fence about doing that very thing lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts