AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed finishing my basement and would like to install 80-100 inch screen with a projector, but I need help in deciding which projector and screen to choose. I am looking for one that can be used for movies but also so my daughter can watch her cartoons during the day, so the basement would be be bright. Any help would be appreciatted.

·
Registered
233 Posts
try www.projectorreviews.com there are a number in your price range.

are you interested in 1080p? theres an epson model people have been importing from Japan for around 2800usd.

If you're going 720p, I would try and minimize how much you spend - 1080p will be pretty common a few years from now, so no point overspending on a 720.

Are you interested in using this for movie playback? Video Games? Computers?

Also, where are you located - theres a place in your forum settings to put this - it helps us make reccomendations.

lastly, this was already asked - do you have any mounting limitations?

some projectors need to be closer to the screen than others, and not all projectors project straight forward -some throw the picture up quite a bit -while others have flexible lenses capable of aiming the picture.

if you're in the US, the Mistsubishi HD1000U is a good deal right now. but it's has limited placement flexibility.

If you need better placement, look at the Sanyo Z5, the Panasonic AX100 and the Epson 810/TW-700 (they are the same model, the 810 is in the US at $3k, the 700 is available as an import for under 2K)

The panasonic and Epson are probably better bets due to brightness, but it will really depend on your room, you should look at the sanyo review for reference however...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm actually located in PA, and 720p should be more than adequate, I will use it primarily for movies and sporting events and my daughter would be using it for her cartoons, which is where my concern comes from, becuase she would be watching tv during the day witgh the lights on.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sounds like you plan to ceiling mount the PJ.

Is your projector budget shared with anything else - ie if you get a $1000 projector, can you also get a HD-DVD or Blu-ray player? you might enjoy that more than say a $2000 projector.

is it ok if the screen is centered on the wall (up and down) or do you have a piece of furniture you want/need to hang it over?

if you can live with centered - have a look at the Mitsubishi or another similar projector is the optoma HD70 which Circuit city sells for 1K. You could inquire about thier return policy, and bring one home and see what you think.

The reason I asked about the centered thing, and the SixKiller asked about the height is that both of these entry level models have a large offset - perfect if you want to put them on a coffee table and get the image up high - but not too good if you want to cieling mount it - in many installations, that leaves the screen top 2.5-3 feet from the cieling, placing the bottom of the screen within 1-2 feet of the floor.

of course the smaller the screen, the more flexibility you'll have, and the picture will be brighter too. I could see you being very happy with a Mistubishi on an 80 inch screen for a total spend of less than 1.5K

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.