AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed a pair of XLR cables yesterday to try out with my Sunfire amp & pre/pro. I was stunned by the result... particularly what seemed to be a considerable widening of the soundstage among other differences. At first I thought it was just the CD I was testing with. But with each new CD there was an incredible difference compared to what I was used to.

The cables were Monster Cable Z200i's. Am I hearing such dramatic differences from...

a) Just using the balanced outputs regardless of the cable brand?

b) Because the Monster Cables are introducing some kind of coloration or unnatural effect (for lack of a better description)?

c) A combination of both?

I haven't been able to find any reviews of this cable, so I guess I'm looking for any advice on whether they're any good. I know there are far more expensive cables which I can't justify buying at $300 a pop, and I know there are cheaper ones too.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
You didn't offer options (d) or (e), one of which is probably the explanation, but of the reasons you listed it would have to be (b). Apparently, your Monster cables are "broke."

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Bigus, I think Jay meant that the new cables are the Monsters, not the "broke" ones.

Jay, I believe the difference is due to (a). How long is the wire run betwixt the two components?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.