AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first time poster, I know there are lots of similar threads but I haven't found one too similar to mine.

I'd like some advice on surround sound speaker choices. I have a 15x 20 space, with TV on the long wall. I have not purchased any equipment yet so everything is on the drawing board. What are you thoughts regarding ceiling mounted surround speakers, the sofa will be tight to the wall so I'm thinking some ceiling mounted surround speakers would be a good space saver.

Is there enough room (15') to mount the surround speakers on the back wall and in the ceiling midway to the TV to provide 7.1 surround? Or should I just only bother with 5.1 surround? How far away would the rear surround speakers be mounted from the vertical wall?

I'm sort of thinking something like these type speakers, with some more powerful Left Right Center speakers. Also probably something like a 55" LCD. Just mainly looking for a clean looking decent sounding install, nothing that needs to be audiophile quality.

Bose Virtually Invisible® 191 speakers. (can't provide link since I'm new) Anyway they are at Amazon, and a non direct type speaker.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used to have a similar set up several years ago. The room was approximately 12 x 22. I recomend pulling the seating away from the back wall at least a couple feet.

I used small bookshelf speakers on the floor facing the ceiling. Not ideal but it worked pretty well. So, I would imagine you could use ceiling mounted for the back channels (angled towards the rear wall?) and surrounds to the left and right of the of the seating position. I wouldnt pull them too far forward. Maybe optimize the layout for 5.1 and compromise the remaining two channels in the ceiling.

You could always experiment with some small bookshelf speakers prior to comitting to an in-ceiling installation

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVE4SPD /forum/post/19608769

Hi first time poster, I know there are lots of similar threads but I haven't found one too similar to mine.

I'd like some advice on surround sound speaker choices. I have a 15x 20 space, with TV on the long wall. I have not purchased any equipment yet so everything is on the drawing board. What are you thoughts regarding ceiling mounted surround speakers, the sofa will be tight to the wall so I'm thinking some ceiling mounted surround speakers would be a good space saver.

Is there enough room (15') to mount the surround speakers on the back wall and in the ceiling midway to the TV to provide 7.1 surround? Or should I just only bother with 5.1 surround? How far away would the rear surround speakers be mounted from the vertical wall?

I'm sort of thinking something like these type speakers, with some more powerful Left Right Center speakers. Also probably something like a 55" LCD. Just mainly looking for a clean looking decent sounding install, nothing that needs to be audiophile quality.

Bose Virtually Invisible® 191 speakers. (can't provide link since I'm new) Anyway they are at Amazon, and a non direct type speaker.

If your couch is gonna be on the wall, then there is no reason to consider adding rear speakers for a 7.1 setup. 5.1 would be optimul, as the 2 speakers above your heads would cause sound issues, not add to the listening expierence.

-Surround Speakers need to be at 90-100 degrees of primary listening position's, So just for 5.1 you really need to move your couch off that wall about a foot. I personally like the surrounds slightly behind the listeners ears and a feet above them.

-Rear Speakers need to be at 135-150 degrees. Rough estimate for these would be ceiling mounted speakers ~8" from back wall, to get within angle tolerence you would need to move the couch out from the rear wall about 4 feet or further. IMO as long as you can get close to the reccomended angle's you'll be fine. say, 130-155 ish. Keep in mind very few disks include tracks that support 7.1, and most of the ones that do arent true 7.1, more likely 6.1 where it muxes the rear channel speakers into one sound field. Most common is a 5.1 DTS-HD master disk that support DTS-ES, or EX where is pulls surround data and applies it to the rear channels, your reciever also needs to support this as well.

With all that being said, when I do stumble upon a disk that has either native 7.1 support or even es/ex support, it sounds alot better than standard 5.1 (to my ears anyways.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice, thanks!

So if I stick to 5.1 and the sofa at the wall or maybe 1' away I would want my ceiling speakers to be as close to the back wall as possible and wider then the sofa?

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVE4SPD /forum/post/19615061

Good advice, thanks!

So if I stick to 5.1 and the sofa at the wall or maybe 1' away I would want my ceiling speakers to be as close to the back wall as possible and wider then the sofa?

Take a look at the dolby site HERE it will give you a better idea of what they reccomend, with a pretty handy diagram.

When you say ceiling speakers are you talking about your L/R surround speakers for a 5.1 setup? If so Ceiling mounted is not preferred, as it places the sound too high, wall mounted or floor stands are preferred , Typically you want the tweeter of the surround speakers only slightly higher than the listeners ears. Personally I like them a little on the high side, but definitly not as high as the ceiling.

If you absolutely must ceiling mount your surrounds to fit your situation, do some research on mounts that will allow the speaker to hang as low as possible, and allow you to angle them down toward your listening position.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Just to add my experience, I have my surrounds about 3 feet above ear level and they give a fantastic surround effect.

I agree that ceiling-mounted is probably not the ideal solution. Is wall-mounting a problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts