AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post. I'm new to the idea of an htpc so I need some advice. I'm looking to ditch cable and get everything ota and off the net. I just need to decide what pc I need. This is what I'm wanting to do:

1. Connect my ota hd antenna to the pc and record either with windows media center or some other program.

2. Stream video from the web, netflix sd and hd, boxee and the like.

3. rip my dvds to and watch them on the pc. (not really worried how long it takes I just mant it to look good)

4. Play my music and look at pictures.

I already have a blu-ray player so I dont need that. Here are a few Ideas I had, let me know your opinions: (I can't post urls yet)

Acer Aspire Revo R3610- $348

ASRock Netop ION 330-HT/B- $400

I like the asrock one the best I think it seems the best choice for what I need. But I'm not sure. I'm open to ideas and recomendations you might have. I was also going to get one of those usb dongles to connect to my ota antenna. Thanks alot in advance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I also recommend the following,

1. 2 tv tuners or a dual tv tuner so you can watch and record at the same time

2. Additional disk space for recorded hdtv and other media

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I wouldn't use an Atom based machine. IMO too under powered, for about the same cash you can put together a decent AMD 550 dual core unlock the other two cores and have a real computer. Most of the Atom machines come with XP home...That's sooo old fashion.

Edit: Humm it looks like the Acer does come with Windows 7 Home Premium. Still no optical drive.

Mike

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
dell studio slim.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Foxconn G41 S775 motherboard - $40

Intel Celeron E 3300 Wolfdale - $53

G Skill 4GB DDR2 800 - $77

LinkWorld Case w/400W psu - $40