AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few days i'm gonna visit the seller,it has approx. 2500 hrs on tubes and chassis,sent me pictures of very clean tube faces but it's IFB-40 board is missing ,could that be a problem?

Anyway,were
to look for the overall condition of this crt

Any advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
the first thing I would check on any sony product

1) is it actually working ?

2) was it installed the correct distance from the screen?

3) have the seller display an HD picture, either 720 or 1080P and see if it looks OK. MAke sure convergence isn't jumping around

3) have him pull up and all White field and look for any uniformity issues (brown or purple areas indicatin a worn Green or blue tube)

4) Be aware of the noise levels, are you OK with it

5) does he have the factory IR remote

6) you will need to buy and plug one of these int othe IFB slot to get blue Ray, so plan on another $350.

http://www.curtpalme.com/IFB-FULLHD.shtm

·
Registered
3 Posts
The G70 is Sony's top of the line late model set that uses 8 liquid coupled tubes with EM focus. 110 Khz scan rate component input along with the regular video/s-video/RGB inputs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Visited the seller,everything looked fine, maybe it looked a bit dimmer then my friends Nec 135 non LC.

The faces of the the tubes looked very clean,but the settings for contrast and brightness were pretty high;75 contrast 78 brightness.

And maybe the picture had some flicker more then i'm used to,he was running it at [email protected]

The set has run about 2500 hrs but is it possible they already dimmer with still clean tube faces?

The seller explained this was caused by edgeblend setup,because he used to run 2 G70's.

As he's not familiar with this kind of callibration as it was done by a tech, he couldn't correct it(neither could i).

Could that be the reason and if so how to correct it ?

thanks,

Spiegel

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiegel /forum/post/19637174

Thanks for the replies.

Visited the seller,everything looked fine, maybe it looked a bit dimmer then my friends Nec 135 non LC.

The faces of the the tubes looked very clean,but the settings for contrast and brightness were pretty high;75 contrast 78 brightness.

I believe that's lower than factory default, also screen choice with CRT is critical, if he's running a 1.0 unity gain then that's too low as wel IMO. Either 1.3 gain or Dalie high power= Retro reflective 2.8 gain is best for CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiegel /forum/post/19637174

And maybe the picture had some flicker more then i'm used to,he was running it at [email protected] thanks,

Spiegel

Resolutiuon is ver subjective but I wouldn't use that. 1080i 96z or 1440 x 810P @72 Hz is what I would use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/19640324

I believe that's lower than factory default, also screen choice with CRT is critical, if he's running a 1.0 unity gain then that's too low as wel IMO. Either 1.3 gain or Dalie high power= Retro reflective 2.8 gain is best for CRT

Resolutiuon is ver subjective but I wouldn't use that. 1080i 96z or 1440 x 810P @72 Hz is what I would use.

Thanks again for your support.

I found out you make modifications for a G90 to make them better and more reliable,could this also be done to a G70?

Also found this:

"1080p48 with reduced porches is OK on G70

Try these parameters in Powerstrip:

Freq.H = 53.946KHz

Sync.V = 47.952Hz

Pixel rate = 118.681MHz

Syncs = H+/V+

Hsize=1920

Vsize=1080

Porchs values :

H_Front=88

H_sync=44

H_Back=148

-----------

V_Front=4

V_sync=5

V_back=36

With these parameters while watching HD, it's very difficult to see the 48Hz flicker at 1080p48"

Any thoughts?

Is it true there could be problems with the eprom/Dallas chip which must be replaced right away?

Caps on the DC should also be replaced to prevent convergence problems?

Spiegel

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiegel
Thanks again for your support.

I found out you make modifications for a G90 to make them better and more reliable,could this also be done to a G70?

Also found this:
no one has ever done anything to a G70 that I'm aware of

Quote:
"1080p48 with reduced porches is OK on G70

With these parameters while watching HD, it's very difficult to see the 48Hz flicker at 1080p48"Any thoughts?
I don't see how porch sizes could affect flicker?

Quote:
Is it true there could be problems with the eprom/Dallas chip which must be replaced right away?

Caps on the DC should also be replaced to prevent convergence problems?

Spiegel
on the DC board it's STK chips that go bad, not capacitors. Dallas chips also go bad but it's not a gauranteed problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/19652922

no one has ever done anything to a G70 that I'm aware of

I don't see how porch sizes could affect flicker?

on the DC board it's STK chips that go bad, not capacitors. Dallas chips also go bad but it's not a gauranteed problem.

No mods on a G70,because lack of interest or not enough gain?

Condition of the tubes are on this G70 pristine,actually unbelievable clean for 2500 hrs.

Only on the outside of the red lc chamber there's a small oval spot of approx 8/9 mm with very tiny bubbles in the glass,i couldn't see it in the picture or on all white.

Is this normal or a factory issue,and could it cause trouble?

Thanks!

Spiegel

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
2500 hour g70 should have some wear...I would think. It's hard to see green wear through the colored c-element...and green will of course wear first.

I hated the G70 chassis...and was glad to go back to an XGLC.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
You hated it cause the tube neck snapped while you brought it home or during shipping.

So advice to the buyer if you do get it. remove the neck boards before moving it, they are heavy and apparently from Bens experience any sudden shift may cause the weight of the video amp to break the neck.

Athanasios

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benareeno /forum/post/19661420

I kind of like the chassis. Maybe not the card cage but the rest is OK.

Very easy to perform lens flapping on this machine also!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benareeno /forum/post/19661420

2500 hour g70 should have some wear...I would think. It's hard to see green wear through the colored c-element...and green will of course wear first.

Nope, no green wear clean as a whistle ,on screen even cleaner,soo soorry
,Your G70 hate is no help or advice to me

Please stay on(my
) topic!

"Condition of the tubes are on this G70 pristine,actually unbelievable clean for 2500 hrs.

Only on the outside of the red lc chamber there's a small oval spot of approx 8/9 mm with very tiny bubbles in the glass,i couldn't see it in the picture or on all white.

Is this normal or a factory issue,and could it cause trouble?"

Thanks!

Spiegel

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamenixon /forum/post/19648120

Any trimpots found on the boards in this projector SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED. I have yet to see a projector that needs tweaking of the internal controls, all installation and alignment adjustments are done via the projector menus and the controls on the keypad or the remote.

When I got my first projector, a Sony 1252 in '99, I made the mistake of saying "Hey, the blue tube is not quite focused, we'll take care of that!"

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Sounds like a decent unit.

These G70's are pretty robust. I've run mine for over 8K hours in the past 10 years, only issue was a DC board at 8K hrs. Tubes are showing obvious wear now, even running low contrast brightness onto a 1.3 screen in a dark HT.

Still, very watchable.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamenixon /forum/post/19648120

Any trimpots found on the boards in ANY projector SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED. I have yet to see a projector that needs tweaking of the internal controls, all installation and alignment adjustments are done via the projector menus and the controls on the keypad or the remote.

There, I fixed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am new to this forum, and you guys are talking above my head. I have a G70 which I bought new. Works fine, but I have been planning on getting rid of it and getting a new JVC projector so I could get HD1080p. I don't know how to tell how many hours on the unit. This thread describes the unit working 1080P, but I thought that the unit was analog and could only display 1080i. I have no HDMI inputs on my unit.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher1 /forum/post/19745560

I am new to this forum, and you guys are talking above my head. I have a G70 which I bought new. Works fine, but I have been planning on getting rid of it and getting a new JVC projector so I could get HD1080p.

there are good reasons to switch for some peoples theaters but that's not one of them IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher1 /forum/post/19745560

This thread describes the unit working 1080P, but I thought that the unit was analog and could only display 1080i. I have no HDMI inputs on my unit.

first off 1080i or 1080P has nothing to whether the signal is in the digital or analog format. All displays are analog, you can't listen to or watch 1's and zero's on the screen. Even on an LCD as soon as you address the RGB liquid crystals with a signal and the cells turn on/off it is now Analog.

With CRT, if you send it an HDMI signal it will be converted to an analog signal inside the projector prior to reaching the tubes. To do that, simply buy this card and plug it into the expansion slot on the back of the machine. you can send 1080i, 720P, or 1080P directly from any Blue ray player to your G70.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.