AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Yamaha NX-E200 bookshelf speakers. These speakers have the best mid and high range freq. sound quality that I've ever owned and pretty much heard from friends of mine. I've owned and paid alot of attention to subwoofer's my whole life, but not alot of attention to the mid and high range. I want to purchase tower speakers that will have even better high and mid range sound quality than the bookshelf speakers that I have. I'm pretty much covered in the bass category, so I'm really looking to cover the mid and high's here- and I'm not rich so not too expensive! My receiver can power about 100w continuous/channel at 8 ohms. I don't mind buying used either. Thanks.

Edit: My favorite I've looked at so far for around my budget/power consumption is the JBL ES80 or L880.... any opinions on this tower??? Will it have better clarity than my Yamaha bookshelf's?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Have you heard them? From your budget with the JBL you can look in to Polk, Klipsch, Paradigm are very popular on this forum and can be had for your budget. I myself have Klispch and many will say the high range may be too high but for me they are great. What are your listening habits and what size is your room?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The room is about 19 feet wide and 16 feet deep. Ceiling is at 8ft. Carpeted room, rugs and lots of stuff for dampening, and the room isn't a perfect square and also has an opening to the kitchen. It actually has rather pleasent sound characteristics. I was thinking that at the price that you can find 880's at, polk audio couldn't beat it, and for that price you wouldn't get the same value from klipsch either. Could be wrong though. I listen to alot of electronic and rock music, and all types of blu-ray's utilitzing trueHD and DTS-HD and dvd's.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Somebody here can correct me if I'm wrong, but towers vs bookshelf is mostly going to add in the lower end. You may be better served for your wants by getting the best bookshelves possible for the $$.

What is your budget?

Have you gone to local high-end stores to listen to what they have to offer in your price range? If so, what have you listened to and liked (that will make it easier for people to suggest speakers with the same tonality).

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm with Rick on this one, Until you start handing over big dollars most floorstanders only add bottom end. As the you say you are covered for the low end I would look into better bookshelf speakers, something along the lines of the Axiom M22 or Rocket RS250, Ascend Sierra 1's. etc.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, I'm going to research those speakers a bit tonight. I was thinking of going with the tower speakers so I could put all three of my subs (a 10, and 2 12's) in the corner that is behind my LCD, instead of having my 10 in the corner and 2 bookshelf speakers atop my 12's on the left and right of the screen respectively.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a bit of research on all of those speakers tonight. They all seemed like very good choices, thank you.

I was very impressed by the x-statik speaker offered on av123, the same guys that make the rocket. I wonder how that would be compared to the jbl 880 that I was looking at? I no it would have as much at the bottom, but overall in the mid and high range quality? I don't have a place around here to test out the JBL's. But I'm going on vacation in a few days and maybe I can find a place that has them.

Edit: After the 250.00 shipping on the x-statik that pushes it above the price of what I think it has to offer and what I originally wanted to spend. Any other ideas on sub 1k towers that have great mid and high range quality?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have tested a few speakers and I'm currently equipped with axiom speakers and you cannot go wrong. I have a pair of m22ti in the front and qs8 for surround and it's the best deal for the money.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After much more research behind me now, I'll have to say that I'm extremely impressed with the Axiom M60's. Very impressive flat frequency response, and even more impressive when paired with a beefy sub. I am pretty sure that the M60's are superior to the JBL L880's. I might just have to try them. Is axiom a pretty good name around these streets?

·
Registered
710 Posts
The M60s are worth a listen, I had the M22s, M60s and M80s at my house while I was trying to decide which to get to replace the M22s for my main room. The M60s are a very nice speaker but I went with the M80s as they have better detail and reach a little deeper for a few hundred more, I felt it was worth the extra to buy them over the M60s. Check over at Axiom's forum in the Hearing Things section, for someone nearby that might be willing to audition a set of M60s/M80s, this way you will know before you buy if they are right for you. Many say the Axioms sound very similar to the Paradigm Studio line, I know the M80s are very close to the Studio 100's, at least to my ears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts