AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding an addition onto my house which will include a basement area for a home theatre. It wont be finished for about a year.

In the meantime, I am considering buying an X1 for use in my living room at night to watch DVDs and 480i television (about 50/50).

My question is this. Should I wait a year to get a projector for the new HT or should I buy now?

Here is my concern. I watch a lot of 480i TV and the DCDi chip in the current X1 will make that signal look a lot better. If I wait a year the X1 will no longer have that chip in it.

Am I better off buying now or will there be something better out in a year?

I don't want to end up like those people who waited to buy a DVD player only to have the expensive chip removed in later versions.

Will there be a comparable projector in 1 year at the same price point that still has as good a DCDi chip and perhaps has DVI as well?

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If the information in this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=301131

is correct, then it sounds like the X2(?) may not have the DCDi but the ScreenPlay 4805 will have all the features of the existing X1/SP4800 and with some noteworthy improvements. It is also at least several months away.

So to answer your question, I would say that yes, there will be something better in $1000-$1500 price range a year from now, and it sounds like you will still be able to get DCDi.

But if you could start using the PJ right away, you may get a lot of pleasure from the X1 long before your HT room is finished. And if it would do the job for you for a couple of years, then there would be an even newer crop of projectors and features in this price range a couple of years from now. It kind of depends how often you can afford to upgrade.

I've enjoyed my X1 so much in the 7 months I've owned it that I just can't imagine going for a year (or even several months) without it now.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i'll 2nd what technut's saying... you'll likely be able to get as much pj (or more) for the money in six months or a year, but if you get the x1 now, you might decide to keep it in the living room and re-invest in a years time for the basement.

i have less than a week on my x1 in the basement, but can already see how it's going to change my enjoyment of dvd's, sports, etc... it's a great value. the "wow" factor is tough to beat (rivals tivo, imho).

jsj

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.