Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Ok , Ive been trying to avoid this but im gonna have to make this post and ask for advice
- Please be kind, I know my speakers and set up may not be perfect for my room but its what I have brought and I have to use them.

Basicly im after some advice on getting the best sound with the speakers and room I have.

I recently brought new speakers for my home cinema / media / bedroom , (used to just be running creative 6.1 speakers from my sound card) - Now I have brought:

1 X Yamaha RXV357 (AV Receiver)

2 X Tdl KV6 Floorstanders

2 x Gale 3060 BIPOLAR

1 x Eltax MILLENIUM CENTRE

The room I have put this all in is 3.70m X 5.20m.

And the floor is just floor boards and the ceiling is normal height (well for english houses anyway) - about 2.40m, and just plaster board.

anyway, the sound im getting is not great, the bass seems to reverberate on the floorboards a lot! - I am no expert when it comes to sound setup or explaining whats wrong with sound, but the sound also seems to bounce of the walls as the front and back walls are pretty close together.

Sooooo, I have 3 questions really
-

1. Can I improove the sound by moving the speakers into different positions (or further away from walls etc?)

2. Im thinking of putting carpet back in the room, Is thick High quality underlay and good carpet going to improove the sound much? - and is it the thicker the better?

3. Any other suggestions on improoving the sound? is there anything i could put on the ceiling walls etc.

I have attached a few pics of the room in question to show the layout etc (please excuse the messy desk etc.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
1) Yes. Corners are usually the worst place for speakers. But give your room, I don't see many options.

2,3) Your room is very reflective. Any sound absorption will help. You might actually do better placing carpet at the first reflection points on the wall. Carpet on the floor generally will not help the "bass rattling the floorboards", though. For that you use acoustic foam or pavers.

Where are you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ya,

Thanks for the advice!

Im in the UK (about 20miles outside Central London).

I will be going for the thickest underlay I can get which says that it has sound absorbtion properties? - Should I still be looking at acoustic foam or pavers??

Where abouts will the first reflection points on the wall be (is that oposite each speaker?)

Thanks for the help,

Chris

·
Registered
294 Posts
Easiest way to find first reflection points is to get a friend hold a large mirror against the wall while you sit in the listening position. Get your friend to move the mirror along the wall, and everywhere you can see a speaker (specifically the tweeter or cone of a speaker), that is a first reflection point and should be treated with some broadband absorption material.

Here's some reading for you:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.