AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get the opinions of those in the know.

I am in the process of hooking up my theatre setup. I have 2 20 amp dedicated circuits to the theatre. Each one has a Panamax 5500 AC Regenerator plugged into it.

My theatre components include a DLP projector, various source components and 5 amps capable of producing a total of 1400 watts of output (I realize this probably will never happen at any one time)

I also am running the distributed audio through this setup and that includes 3 additional amps rated capable of outputting an additional 1080 amps. (I know this will never happen) By the way, I didn't have time to find out the amperage draw for the amps, that is why I posted output.

Rarely will the distributed audio system and the theatre be in use simultaneously.

My question is this...What is the best way to distribute all of these components between the two circuits? Should I hook up all of the theatre amps on one circuit and place the projector and source components on the other? In this case then where would I hook up the distributed audio amps? or would it really even matter?

Your wisdom and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Ronn, it's probably not that critical, but I'd probably start with the power amps on one circuit and the rest on the other. If nothing else, at least the source and power components are separated.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Although it's not a big draw, I'd put the projector on it's own circuit. When it fires, it requires a large amount of current for a short time for the bulb to light. If it is starved (lets say you turn your amps on at the same time) then it won't ignite. This seems to bother some projectors.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Please make sure your two circuits are on the same electrical phase. If they are sharing a neutral they will be on different phases and you may have a recipe for a ground loop. You can stagger your turn on times for the outlets and projector. I would group these together and tell your panamax to turn on the projector first and then the amps. If you could turn the amps outlets on the Panamax at different times that would be hepful if they are high current designs. The Monster Cable does this as does the Niles IPC-6 ( no portection circuitry in this ).

Alan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.