AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help picking audio components for my setup. Setup is a 50" 1080p Vizio, X360, PS2, Firestick loaded with Kodi, Custom PC using 2 monitors. I will be getting the PS4 Neo whenever it comes out, reveal is Sept 7th. Goal is to listen to music, improve the audio when playing console games, watching tv shows, movies and sports. Im debating on whether to go 2.1, 3,1 or 5.1 for my bedroom. Ive been asking for help all over the place but cant seem to get anywhere.

Would like to get a receiver that supports 4K HDR since the Neo will most likely support both 4K and HDR. Will upgrade my TV eventually to a 55" or 60" 4K HDR. Some receivers Ive been looking at are the Yamaha RX-V381, V481 and the ONKYO TX-SR353 thats only $200 at accessories4less. It has bluetooth, 4K HDR, USB, more power to speakers than v381. Are HDR receivers a gimmick or do they actually make a difference compared to non HDR receivers??

If you know of other receivers then they should be under $400 but if its a really good one that fits my setup nicely then I'll consider going up to $450 or $500. I have an old Yamaha YST-SW030 Subwoofer that still works. Would be nice if I could use it so I can save money or use it towards better speakers or receiver. My old speakers broke so I would need a new set. Front speakers need to be bookshelf since I dont want giant speakers sitting on my desk. If I go for a 5.1 setup than the rear speakers will be on a stand and have to be wireless. For a 2.1 setup the Cambridge Audio Minx Min 12 caught my eye since they are so small. For a 3.1 setup I need a center speaker that is under 4" high and 15" long so it fits nicely between my monitors. Only one I could find is a Polk Audio RM7, I'll leave a link below. Some speakers for a 5.1 setup Ive looked at are the Definitive Technology ProCinema 400 and Polk Audio Blackstone TL150.

Problem with going 5.1 is the placement of the speakers and how I watch content on my TVs. I'll leave a link below of my room layout. 90% of the time I watch TV or play games Im on my couch but sometimes I like to lay back on my bed especially when I have friends over and they takeover the couch. So the best and really the only spot for the rear speakers would be by the locker and nightstand. Im no expert on audio so this is why Im asking but if Im closer to the front speakers wouldnt the sound be unbalanced?? Would look dumb if the speakers were on each side of the couch. Thats why I want to go with the 3.1 layout since I would put the center speaker between the 2 monitor stands, fits nicely in that deadspace.

$200 Onkyo Receiver: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxsr353/onkyo-tx-sr353-5.1-ch-x-80-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html#!more

My Old Yamaha Sub Specs: http://asia.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/subwoofers/yst-sw030_silver__g/?mode=model

Polk Center Speaker: https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B000Z5W666/ref=sr_1_11?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1471297810&sr=1-11&refinements=p_item_display_height-bin:00100{9.9+in.+&+Under{,p_item_display_width-bin:00200{10+to+11.9+in.{|00180{8+to+9.9+in.{|00140{4+to+5.9+in.{|00100{1.9+in.+&+Under{

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem is if Im on the couch the front speakers would be about 5 feet away and the rear are about 8 feet away. If Im on the bed the rear speakers are a foot away and the front are 11 feet away. I have friends over all of the time to watch movies and play games so 5.1 wont work. Maybe I should just go for a 3.1 setup.

Budget is $500 by the way.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
This is the only other center channel that came close to your requirements.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-C210BL-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B002JCSG2Q

Speakers to consider; they play much lower than the Minx. 9" tall, 6" wide.

http://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf-speakers/2010i-bookshelf-speaker-pair-76.html

Your sub should be fine.

Receiver HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (HDMI inputs 3, 4, 5, and monitor output only)

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs510bt/denon-avr-s510bt-5.2-ch-x-70-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html?gclid=CJ767dDVxs4CFROVfgod6TcENA

Seeing as how you have TWO listening positions, one on the bed, and one on the couch 6 feet further forward, you should stick with 3.1 IMHO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I ended up going with the v481 since it was only $50 more than the v381 at Best Buy, thought what the hell. First thing I tried was watching Suicide Squad on my firestick loaded with Kodi. Movie was ok but I was disappointed with the audio. I wasnt sure if it was because of the quality of the stream, old speakers and sub arent good or a bad AVR unit. So then I tested Pandora with some modern rock and boy did it sound great. Those 15 year old speakers and sub still sound great after all these years. Entire room was shaking which drove my family nuts. So I have no need for a new speaker or sub which saves me money which I can put towards a new console.

Now I have a couple questions about the unit.

Can I stream music from Pandora while playing a game thats using one of the HDMI inputs??

Is there a way to lock the AVR to 1 mobile device so people cant turn it off or change settings using their phone?? Have a bunch of trolls in a my house and they love shutting off Pandora and playing the Spongebob theme song.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
So I ended up going with the v481 since it was only $50 more than the v381 at Best Buy, thought what the hell. First thing I tried was watching Suicide Squad on my firestick loaded with Kodi. Movie was ok but I was disappointed with the audio. I wasnt sure if it was because of the quality of the stream, old speakers and sub arent good or a bad AVR unit. So then I tested Pandora with some modern rock and boy did it sound great. Those 15 year old speakers and sub still sound great after all these years. Entire room was shaking which drove my family nuts. So I have no need for a new speaker or sub which saves me money which I can put towards a new console.

Now I have a couple questions about the unit.

Can I stream music from Pandora while playing a game thats using one of the HDMI inputs??

Is there a way to lock the AVR to 1 mobile device so people cant turn it off or change settings using their phone?? Have a bunch of trolls in a my house and they love shutting off Pandora and playing the Spongebob theme song.

If your receiver has a Zone 2 it will play ANALOG inputs while the Zone1 is playing the game soundtrack...otherwise no.

You could get a pair of Dayton Audio AIR B652's for $50 it you can use Zone 2 with Pandora streaming via a headphone jack to one of the Auxiliary inputs on the receiver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your receiver has a Zone 2 it will play ANALOG inputs while the Zone1 is playing the game soundtrack...otherwise no.

You could get a pair of Dayton Audio AIR B652's for $50 it you can use Zone 2 with Pandora streaming via a headphone jack to one of the Auxiliary inputs on the receiver.
It has Zone B, no idea if its the same thing or not

·
Registered
21,727 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that should work; check your manual.

Here's the speakers I was talking about; looks like they raised the price but still a great bang for the buck unless you have some old computer speakers laying about.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-air-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651
My 15 year old Yamaha NS-AP6500 bookshelf speakers are working great.

Just downloaded the manual and all Zone B is play audio into another room.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
My 15 year old Yamaha NS-AP6500 bookshelf speakers are working great.

Just downloaded the manual and all Zone B is play audio into another room.
Yes, but you can play audio in YOUR room using that with your old bookshelves while still being able listen to your game's audio via HDMI which is what I thought you wanted to do.

Zone B can be in the same room as Zone A.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, but you can play audio in YOUR room using that with your old bookshelves while still being able listen to your game's audio via HDMI which is what I thought you wanted to do.

Zone B can be in the same room as Zone A.
Im sure I can find some speakers lying around or borrow from someone so I can test it before buying a new pair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts