AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending the better part of the week messing with AVIA subwoofer calibration tones, and thinking all was well, I stepped into the quagmire of measuring my subwoofer's frequency response. My subwoofer, while over 20 years old, has a listed frequency response of 20hz-150hz. I unfortunately cannot use the excellent programs available, so I utilized my Radioshack SPL meter coupled with the Realtraps test tone CD. So I'm plodding through the test tones, content with the results (where I find my sub begins rolling off at around 31hz) until I hit 40hz. Each successive tone became higher and higher still, until it reached a zenith of +20db's at 56hz before beginning a slow descent back to normalcy. I've attached the graph below (values compensated for RS meter). My crossover is set to 100hz, so that may be why the results are a bit skewed around that area (as I'm getting sound from both front speakers in addition to the sub)

Within AVIA, I've calibrated my sub LFE signal to ~72db (mains 75db), and -- thanks to the help of members here -- are in phase and level matched at the crossover point. I have my sub's dial set to the 0.75 position (on a scale of 0 to 12; my AVR subwoofer trim is set to -8db). I only mention this to show I'm not intentionally setting my subwoofer hot.

I understand the best solution would be to move the sub around, but due to its size and the room I'm located in, its unfortunately stuck in its corner position. That leaves me with two other solutions, from what I understand (please forgive and correct me if wrong, as I'm not an audio guy): a sub EQ or bass trap(s). In addition, I have a very limited budget to work with (~$100). Taking my graph and budget into account, which would be the better solution? What should my expectations be, in terms of taming that mountain of a peak? I have no delusions of making it level; I'd be happy enough if it were under 10db. If an EQ is recommended, it would have to be one that would accept speaker level inputs, as that's how my sub is connected to my receiver. I'm only looking to make cuts, not boost the low end, though I imagine if I didn't have such a damn peak I would probably be able to do so.

I should also add I usually watch film at the 55db-60db volume level on my receiver (small room and 2 kids downstairs). Should I try taming that peak, as I see many trying to obtain similar (though perhaps not as extreme) results by running their subwoofer hotter to help with bass at lower volumes such as mine.

Sorry for the verbal diarrhea. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts