AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an F38310 for my parents, and have been playing with it lately. I've noticed that the picture is "curved". I think it needs adjusting with the "trapezoid" parameter. Should I make use of the 3 year extended warranty I got from Circuit City, or try fixing it myself using the service menu?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
don't ever let circuit city technicians touch the set. i have worked for cc before and i can tell you they don't know a damn thing, especially about such a high-end device. if necessary, have an isf guy finetune it for picture geometry, or do it yourself if you feel like braving the service menu. and if it ever breaks just let cc send it through thompson for repairs, which is what the'll most likely do as they, as i've said, don't know a damn thing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When you say the screen is curved, are you talking about the edge compression on the outer two inches of the screen, where everything gets distorted?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
As SE3 says about the curve only, I would add did you expect a perfectly flat screen for the low price paid. The actual size of the tube is 40 inches with 38 inches minus 1/4 inch used in *framing* a RCA F-38310.

To get any Height and Width of a 16 X 9 screen, you take 1/2 of th diaginol which is 38. The vertical height is 19 inches minus the 1/4 inch on top and bottom. For the width take 7/8 of the 38 inches

minus the 2...1/4 inches on both left and right sides of F-38310.

Nice HDTV your parents will love it, for they won't be looking so close, to your knowledge of EE and so forth, ignorance is bliss. :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's much worse than that. For example, if I'm watching a 4:3 source, the gray bars are visibly distorted, and it looks very unusual. Even my parents will notice that. They definitely will not notice the effect on HD sources, though.

·
Registered
22,149 Posts
Is the curvature like an 'hourglass' shape like this )||( ??

If so, then the only way it can be adjusted is via the service menus. Not to be performed by the 'faint of heart', but many on the forums have performed the adjustments themselves.

If you are not comfortable with performing the changes, you will need to get RCA Service to fix it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ratman
Is the curvature like an 'hourglass' shape like this )||( ??

If so, then the only way it can be adjusted is via the service menus. Not to be performed by the 'faint of heart', but many on the forums have performed the adjustments themselves.

If you are not comfortable with performing the changes, you will need to get RCA Service to fix it.
Yes, that is what it looks like. I've performed adjustments on my plasmas from the service menu, but I'm trying to get an idea of how difficult it will be to make this particular adjustment from the RCA service menu. I'm not sure how the Circuit City extended warranty works, but if that means they will send their own technician to use the service menu, I'm inclined to agree with a previous post and not allow that to happen!

·
Registered
22,149 Posts
Aviator, check your private messages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.