AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before everyone tells me to do a search before starting new thread, I know but...don't really have the time to sit and go through all of them. Wall are getting closed up very shortly and need to move fast. So if you would like like to answers or advise me on some of my questions, that would be great.

Speaker Setup/Zone

(1-2) Master Bed Room

(1) Master Bath

(1-2) Kitchen

(2) Dining Room

(2) Outside Deck

(2) Outside Pool Area

My original plan was/is to have the source controlled by the second zone of an Onkyo receiver that would be located in the family room, also controlling this rooms 5.1 channel speaker setup. I would power all the zones/speakers with a 12 channel amplifier with volume control knobs in each room. The receiver would be controlled using Onkyo's Android and Apple Apps.

What I would really like is a system with digital keypad/volume controllers in each room. I would like a keypad that control all zones (such as a party mode or can shut down the entire system at one pad). The problems with these systems is it seems you need different units for every source, there is no easy way to have everything. This is why I would like to use the Onkyo, for its built in Pandora, Ipod connectivity, or the ease of just tuning the cable box to a music channel. Are there any good systems not off the pricing charts that can accommodate my needs? Is there some way to run Pandora on command from a keypad? (I know most things will cut out Pandora prompting you to click if your still listening)

Dual Voice Coil Speakers vs Single??? Do the DVC speakers sound good enough to through in a bathroom or bedroom, or is it better just to put two single channel speakers in?

14 gauge or 16 gauge speaker wire? From what I read it looks like 14 gauge is the way to go. This is a small cape cod style house. Most runs will be below 50 feet. Longest run will probably be out to the pool area, maybe 75-100 feet from amp.

How much wattage do I really need for a bedroom or dining room? The two amps I've been looking at are the OSD Audio MX1260 and the HTD DMA-1240 that both put out 40 watts per channel at 8 ohm. Anyone have info on these or and other suggestions? Anyone have an comments on the auto sensing power up, which triggers the unit to power up when it detects and audio signal? I would most likely use this feature.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment. I need to get this done asap so all the help I can get is appreciated. I would like a full keypad system but will use this setup unless someone can direct me to keypad system that can play Pandora on command or control and Ipod.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto2323  /t/1467864/advice-on-home-audio-distribution-systems-setup#post_23193242

Before everyone tells me to do a search before starting new thread, I know but...don't really have the time to sit and go through all of them. Wall are getting closed up very shortly and need to move fast. So if you would like like to answers or advise me on some of my questions, that would be great.

Ah, the "Do It For Me" forum...
and another "didn't wait until it was almost too late" clubmember!

Worry about the wiring now - deal with equipment later. You're months away from needing it, and new products may become available in the meantime...

So regardless of what you think you might use now, wire for both volume controls and keypads (cat5e) in those zones. And wire any other zone you might want to use in the future - it will never be this cheap again. Think about other bedrooms, study, dining room, garage, etc.
Quote:
What I would really like is a system with digital keypad/volume controllers in each room. I would like a keypad that control all zones (such as a party mode or can shut down the entire system at one pad). The problems with these systems is it seems you need different units for every source, there is no easy way to have everything. This is why I would like to use the Onkyo, for its built in Pandora, Ipod connectivity, or the ease of just tuning the cable box to a music channel. Are there any good systems not off the pricing charts that can accommodate my needs? Is there some way to run Pandora on command from a keypad? (I know most things will cut out Pandora prompting you to click if your still listening)

Yes, any of the NuVo system will do this, Russound isn't quite as integrated on the Pandora front. All depends on what you think "off the chart" cost wise means... Pandora integration on the NuVo keypads is great.
Quote:
Dual Voice Coil Speakers vs Single??? Do the DVC speakers sound good enough to through in a bathroom or bedroom, or is it better just to put two single channel speakers in?

If the room is bigger than a powder room and not hallway-shaped, two speakers spaced appropriately will give better, more consistent coverage throughout the room.
Quote:
14 gauge or 16 gauge speaker wire? From what I read it looks like 14 gauge is the way to go. This is a small cape cod style house. Most runs will be below 50 feet. Longest run will probably be out to the pool area, maybe 75-100 feet from amp.

Either is fine. 14 is better for the long runs.
Quote:
How much wattage do I really need for a bedroom or dining room? The two amps I've been looking at are the OSD Audio MX1260 and the HTD DMA-1240 that both put out 40 watts per channel at 8 ohm. Anyone have info on these or and other suggestions? Anyone have an comments on the auto sensing power up, which triggers the unit to power up when it detects and audio signal? I would most likely use this feature.

Most WHA system amps are in the 20-40W/channel range. Music sensing auto-trigger is a common feature and yes, it works.

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope last minute jobber. I just convinced my sister to let me wire up her Sandy Destroyed home. They both have Iphones that can control a receiver very easily and it is not hard for me to buy a couple cheap Android devices to through around the house for controls. I know it is much more convenient to have keypads though.

I am running Cat6 for all the networking should I run that to the key pad areas as well or down grade to cat5e? I only need one run to each pad for most systems correct?

I may be able to convince them to spend up to $3000-$4000 grand. What good systems will offer control ability at that price range?

Thanks for the help Jeff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts