AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking at getting an HC4000 or an 8350.

I am mainly looking for advice on which room to use, and screen size/color suggestions depending on room and projector.

Here are my main room options:

Here are some rough sizes:

Living room: 10' high x 14' wide' 30' long

-"dull" green walls, white ceiling, wood floor covered by blue oriental rug

Foyer: 10' high x 9' wide x 20' long

-walls: 1/2 dark brown wood paneling, 1/2 off-white (yellowish), same off white ceiling, wood floor covered by two black coffee tables

Landing: 10' high x 13' wide x 20' long

-light gray walls, white ceiling,

-floor: 1/2 wood floor at 10' height, 1/2 empty space (stairwell) with variable 20' height.

There are some smaller rooms, but figured I'd have less of a problem with ambient light in the larger rooms.

Not sure about screen size, I was thinking about maybe 120" 16:9 at 14' viewing distance?

I am not able to paint any of the rooms, and would like to hold off on expensive velvet wall curtains for now.

I thought of an unorthodox setup that might help reduce ambient light:

The living room is 30' long x 14' wide. What if I put the screen on the long wall ? That way there would be no side walls reflecting light. The rug is dark, and the 10' ceiling maybe would allow me to mount the screen low enough to avoid too much ceiling reflection. There is also a large gap in the wall across from that screen position; I could maybe put the projector through that gap into the adjacent room if I wanted a longer throw. I could also hang one velvet curtain on either side of the gap to further minimize ambient light.

However, it might look more stunning (or more natural) to have the screen on a short wall in one of the three rooms, if ambient light isn't a problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Keep in mind this is not new construction, if you buy the Mitsubishi you will need to table or ceiling mount it so power and signal cable needs to be run. Epson has lens shift and could be shelf mounted.. still need cables but may be less demo to get them where they need to go. There are many other things to think about that are far more important than current room color.. What will you use for audio, how does the room size/shape effect that, what about sound transmission to the sleeping area of the house? What are you going to use for audio.. etc etc.. Color of the room is an easy fix..

There is always talk about theater rooms design here but there are 2 dedicated forums for room design, you may get more and better response in one of those, this is one is more dedicated towards projectors.

Dedicated Theater Design and Construction
General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

1 - 2 of 2 Posts