Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

In my room I have the following:
2x Paradigm Studio 100 v5
1x Paradigm Studio 590 v5
2x Paradigm Monitor 3 (rears)

Question 1: I am upgrading to Atmos. What should I look at for in-ceiling?

Question 2: Should I ditch the Monitor 3 bookshelf and buy new in-wall?

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Q1: Budget will dictate, but I'd start with something like the Monoprice 4103/4104 at the low end and work your way up from there.

Q2: I'd only go in-wall if there is a large aesthetic desire to do so. Monitor 3s are solid capable speakers and should be more than capable in surround duty. I don't think any in-walls will sound as good or better without spending a lot of money and likely making some placement compromises as well. This is coming from someone with pretty decent in-wall surrounds (Sonance .5 THX-SUR) who would prefer to go back to bookshelfs on stands or even on-wall surrounds, but can't due to a pitched ceiling terminating at a fairly low knee wall.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Q1: Budget will dictate, but I'd start with something like the Monoprice 4103/4104 at the low end and work your way up from there.

Q2: I'd only go in-wall if there is a large aesthetic desire to do so. Monitor 3s are solid capable speakers and should be more than capable in surround duty. I don't think any in-walls will sound as good or better without spending a lot of money and likely making some placement compromises as well. This is coming from someone with pretty decent in-wall surrounds (Sonance .5 THX-SUR) who would prefer to go back to bookshelfs on stands or even on-wall surrounds, but can't due to a pitched ceiling terminating at a fairly low knee wall.
Q1 - Not a bad idea - was thinking to match with another paradigm, but that may be cost prohibitive, seeing as though these are for atmos only.

Q2 - Meant to say Monitor 1, not 3. But if they are too big, would an in-wall pair of paradigms be a good choice or should I go with something else?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Same as in-ceiling, you have to spend a lot more to get the same sound quality as a cabinet speaker that costs a lot less. If you're going to be going in-ceiling for Atmos and in-wall for surrounds, I'd probably look to the Monoprice Alpha line for all of the above which should give pretty seamless overhead panning effects, especially if you're going to do 5.1.4 where the transition from Rear Height to Surrounds might be more noticeable. Also, if you're stuck with a rear-wall placement for the surrounds and also have a rear-wall seating position, you may want to look at the Vari-Angle speaker in the Alpha line... I'm currently leaning towards Alpha 6.5" In-Ceiling and Alpha Vari-Angle surrounds when I do my Atmos upgrade in the Spring.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I also recommend the rsl speakers.

Reactions: jjackkrash

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also recommend the rsl speakers.
Thanks for the input - I guess for me the debate is the monoprice vs. RSL. I took a look at the paradigms, but they are too much for just a "height" speaker.

Anyone have suggestions for rear's?

Due to the home design, I am UNABLE to do side wall mount.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Unless you feel the need to upgrade your rears i would spend the money on 4 rsl speakers $500 and go from there. You will be very happy with their performance. I have a pretty high end system and i am more than happy with them. I had Jeff meyer from accucal calibrate my system recently and he commented how great the rsl speakers were and said it is his new recommendation for ceiling speakers in that price range.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
For height channels, even $129/ea seems high to me personally. That said, budget/value is a very personal thing and you'll rarely find a consensus. While I do have a somewhat comparable front LCR set to you guys (B&W P6 + CDMC SE), I also only have around 1/10th of MSRP invested in it... so my view of the value proposition for height channels compared to the other speakers in my system may be a bit skewed toward the lower end.

One issue I see is that the RSL in-ceiling offering is both angled and non-coaxial, which aren't ideal characteristics for a properly placed Atmos speaker... though it's probably not a huge concern, especially since they apparently sound great, but may be worth noting.

I'd be interested to see how the RSLs compared to something like the Speakercraft AIM 272 which can be had for $460 (possibly less since they have MAKE AN OFFER) for a 4-pack on eBay. These are (supposedly) designed with spatial height channel use in mind. The eBay deal is a big cut from MSRP and comes from a reputable seller.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
For height channels, even $129/ea seems high to me personally. That said, budget/value is a very personal thing and you'll rarely find a consensus. While I do have a somewhat comparable front LCR set to you guys (B&W P6 + CDMC SE), I also only have around 1/10th of MSRP invested in it... so my view of the value proposition for height channels compared to the other speakers in my system may be a bit skewed toward the lower end.

One issue I see is that the RSL in-ceiling offering is both angled and non-coaxial, which aren't ideal characteristics for a properly placed Atmos speaker... though it's probably not a huge concern, especially since they apparently sound great, but may be worth noting.

I'd be interested to see how the RSLs compared to something like the Speakercraft AIM 272 which can be had for $460 (possibly less since they have MAKE AN OFFER) for a 4-pack on eBay. These are (supposedly) designed with spatial height channel use in mind. The eBay deal is a big cut from MSRP and comes from a reputable seller.
The speakercraft also look nice. It is impossible to compare both unless you test them in your room at the same time. It is even harder with in-ceiling speakers for obvious reasons compared to bookshelves or towers .
I do know that the rsl speakers were designed specifically for atmos in mind. I had a long conversation with the company's owner. I know they have a 30 day return policy. If you are really ambicious you could buy both Install one pair in the front and one pair in the back. That is what i did with the rsl speakers.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I went with the Canton's over the RSL's because the Cantons were 8" coaxials with an a tweeter that you can aim and also had good reviews. That said, I have literally not seen one complaint with the RSLs anywhere, and many positive comments.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the input - here is the image of the room I have. It is a new build, with foam insulation on all walls, so adding items is a bit tough. Did I do myself a disservice by having rears vs sides?

Note the windows are not there.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reviving the thread...

- Really like the RSL, but for $500 for 4 (assuming I go ahead and pull more cable for 4 atmos vs. 2). seems high
- Is RSL really effective at Atmos, given the "aiming" they have?
- I need to procure rear in-walls, as the space won't allow for Paradigm Monitor 1s. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went with the Canton's over the RSL's because the Cantons were 8" coaxials with an a tweeter that you can aim and also had good reviews. That said, I have literally not seen one complaint with the RSLs anywhere, and many positive comments.
Old thread but I just ordered canton ceiling speakers. Can you speak to how they have performed for you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts