AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have just had my Samsung screen mounted to the wall, 46" screen, with my front a rear speakers, Definitive Tech pro 800 monitors, mounted to the front and rear wall, with the rears slightly higher than the front speakers.  The front speakers sit about one foot away from the screen, on the left and ride hand side and are positioned at the bottom of the screen.

I had positioned my center speaker, Definitive Tech 1000, on top of my amp which is on a low cabinet belwo the screen and the front speakers.  I really notice where the sound is coming from so would you advise that I look to either wall mount the center speaker below or above my screen.   What would be the bets position as I clearly do not want to have to drill lots of holes in my wall.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
With my system I liked hi for center channel after trying both. You well have to try both and see what works for you. There are so many variables that it just impossible to standardize.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I prefer high as well but it NEEDS to be angled down toward your ears. If you like it low then angle it up towards your ears.

Also just so you know if you are running a 5.1 system there are no rear speakers. The surrounds in a 5.1 system are side surrounds, they should go on the side walls and be 90 to 110 degrees to the listener. So either directly beside or beside but slightly behind. Rear surrounds only exist in 7.1 or higher.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the advice guys.  I am having it mounted above the screen today and looking forward to getting everything finished.

I did not know that they were side speakers.  I can only mount them on the rear walls so that is where they will have to go for now

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
For a smaller monitor which is at eye level where it belongs I prefer the "above" placement with a slight sown angle as well - that is how my 46" is set up. But if the monitor is too high (like the dreaded "above the fireplace" trendy mount) then the center should go below. And of course once you get into the 100"+ screens that would put the center on the ceiling - the "below" placement with a slight upward angle is what most of the high-end HT setups use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Got this installed today and as my screen is a little higher than eye level it works well with the center speaker above the screen pointed down.  Looking forward to using teh system now!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Glad you got it working. Let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I had to install the side speakers on the rear wall as one side is an entire run of glass (window) and the other side is too far from the listening position.

Really happy with the results and just need to wait for Playstation to enable PS4s to be able to play Bluerays

1 - 8 of 8 Posts