AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good way to tilt(and mount)the top of my "heavy" screen forward? I assume I would also have to secure the bottom of screen somehow? One problem is the screen does not have a border because the wall is painted flat black. The screen is 106" diagonal, 1/2" MDF, currently hanging on a wooden cleat. The purpose is to avoid or lessen the amount of keystone needed on my new projector. I'm looking to upgrade to the Mits. HC3800(probably) or the Optoma HD20. Any pics would be great. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
If you upgrade you can use the digital keystone correction it would less of an issue then trying to tilt that monster. NOTE: if the projector can be mounted in at the proper height be it table or ceiling you will not have keystone issues.

Or go with an LCD that has lens shift of a higher priced DLP that has lens sift..

·
Registered
671 Posts
Jim,

Having seen your screen in person, I would first recomment lowering it as you had mentioned on your pm. With that, you may not be bothered at all with keystone.

If you still tilt, you could use something like my Elite screen has. It's almost like large picture hanging plates, then just secure the wall plate and run some wire out a few inches however far you want to tilt it. With that, you'd have to have the bottom in a channel like I think you already have. You could even secure an eye hook on the back of the screen and run the wire to the wall and secure it with a plate.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bill. Even if I drop screen about 8", if I wind up with the HC3800, I'd still need to use keystone(I think). My screen simply hangs from a cleat on wall and one on the back of screen. There is no channel or attachment of any kind on the bottom of screen.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18179586

I'm still looking for advice.

Unless/until you post some pics and/or drawings of what you have now, how do you expect people to help you?

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I lowered the screen and decided against the tilt. Today I've been patching holes, sanding, priming. Will be painting later on.

·
Registered
990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18185156

Thanks everyone. I lowered the screen and decided against the tilt. Today I've been patching holes, sanding, priming. Will be painting later on.

You will find it's well worth moving the screen (or even tilting if needed), than to use ANY digital keystoning. For me, text and sharp straight lines look best from my HTPC and game consoles without digital keystone. Well worth the effort.

I know you haven't posted here again in a long time. But it would still be cool to see pics of your final setup.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
I have a 145" screen mounted in the middle of a 7.5 foot wall with a ceiling mounted HC3800 tilted slightly up and 2 clicks of keystoning and I don't notice any image issues or changes. Others have advised against keystoning because it's a form of rescaling the image, but I have looked at it both ways with cable, dvd, blu-ray, etc. and see no difference--for what it's worth...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts