AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so the time has come to upgrade my theater and I need some advice from anyone with experience or knowledge of the Epson 3020 and 5020. I have a dedicated room with no external light and current have the In focus IN72 which was a direct replacement to my first project (SP 4805) once its light tunnel failed on me ! I was looking at the Epson after seeing lots of great reviews and want some 3D at home, I am leaning toward the 5020 as the extra $1000 bucks is worth the better blacks and upgraded optics (I think!) but have seen some issues people have with the off-set (I’m no expert, I think that what it’s called) where the image coming out of the projector is central meaning for best placement the center of the lens is center of the screen height? My problem is that my projector is in an overhead box so couldn’t be any lower than the current IN72. The throw (distance) between the projector and screen is 15 feet; the top of the screen is 11” down from the ceiling which also could not be moved as it has a screen wall built around it, and the projector mount brings the lens approximately 8.5” from the ceiling. So…. Will the Epson work well from that position or will I be compromising PQ? I read that by using the lens shift aggressively on the 5020 would impact the sharpness of the PQ?

As a side note I am also looking to pick up a new Blu-ray (Oppo 103) and receiver (Onkyo 809 as they are going cheap!) as my current system is not 3D or HDMI 1.4 so any thoughts on all this working as a package would be great!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You will get a better image on the 5020. Perfection on any lcd pj is a little hard to get no matter the choice. I wouldn't be to concerned with using the lens shift in that situation, that's what it's for. Sure if you could mount the pj in the center of the screen area, and you put it at the exact distance determined by a lens # calculation, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1226740/does-zooming-degrade-picture-quality#post_18132593 you'd get the best possible setup for a particular pj. Buy from a dealer, which would allow an easy return if your not happy with the image.

My 6010 is setup around 14' from a 126" screen, exhibits some slight smearing on the outside edge areas and is about 1/2 pixel off alignment. Watching content from 13', I don't see any image imperfection. If you looking for something that is sharper, then a dlp, or lcos pj might be a better choice? Have a look at the Benq 7000 calculators and see if it might work with it's lens shift, but the 3D may not be as bright as the Epson. A little bit on the smearing/blurriness you might experience on the Epson here. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377321/official-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-5010-6010-thread/930 and a little further down the page some discussion on using increments of 8, when adjusting the pixels.

I think the Oppo 103 has multi channel analog outputs, which you could use with your old receiver, takes a little more setup but I've used that method for my older non hdmi receiver. You would need a hdmi switch however. I'm using a monoprice 3x1 enhanced in my setup. Only problem is the led light was a little bright, so put some electrical tape over it. Consider adding a Darbee as well if you want to improve your pj image/sharpness. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info many thanks! I'll take a read through...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.