AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mits 55" HDTV right now from sears. I am really unhappy with it for a few reaons. One its just to big. I don't have room for it in my small living room. We have to sit to close and dvd's and regular tv just doesnt look good. Also my set requires a lot of tweaking that I just cannot do and do not want to spend lots of money hiring some one to do it especially when there is no one in my area. Ok so I am going to exchange it. Can some one give me some advice?

1. I might want a tube set but is it true that 38" is as big as they come? If so that might be to small. Also I would want a flat screen and I dont think they make a flat screen HDTV Tube set above 34"?

2 So I guess i am looking for 40-50" set that comes out of the box pretty well calibrated. I can do basic stuff like brightness and contrast but I don't want to have to mess with geometry and overscan to much.

3 Also are there any current sets that have 2 HDTV inputs? I have to HD recievers and would be nice to have two HD inputs. At the very least I need it to have 1 HDTV input and 1 480p input.

4. Lastly little to no red push in the set or at least a set that it is easily fixable in is a must! The red push on my Mits drives me crazy!

Any advice on this would be great. I do not want to get another tv I won't be happy with. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I have to say ... that's certainly an odd and specific set of requirements. I don't think there is an exact fit for what you want. Although the Sony KV40XBR?? is 40" diagonal direct-view, it's 4:3, and the width is about the same as the 16:9 HD34XBR?? - I checked them both out in the store with a friend last Thursday - we also looked at the RCA 38" 16:9 set, but it was far from flat. Oddly enough, after extensive research and weeks of shopping, he ended up with a Mits 55" RPTV - it was visibly superior to anything else in the price range.

FYI, last year I was able to tune the red push out of my Sony WEGA with the AVIA DVD and a little patience, using information on the Web, and the Service Mode. I have since bought AVIA, but last year I rented it from my local video parlour - it will also do surround sound calibrations using an inexpensive Radio Shack sound meter.

My own wife had kittens when she saw the size of the 65" widescreen RPTV I liked. I mocked up the cabinet size with some dowels and string, and agreed with her - the roughly 32" of depth it occupied messed up traffic patterns in the room, and some of our seating would have been enough off-axis to lose a lot of screen brightness. Oddly enough, after lengthy shopping, I ended up with a front projector - it sits on top of the (existing) 7' tall bookcase on one side of the room, the homemade screen sits on the doublewide windowsill opposite the projector, and the only other room alteration was to add an inexpensive room-darkening windowshade to the other window underneath the existing drapes.

Bottom line: She's happy because the screen stows away in the garage, and the room is then unchanged in appearance, including all of her Grandmother's antique furniture. I'm happy because I get to watch TV and DVD movies from my favorite chair on a 90" diagonal screen, with a front projector that cost $3000, about a grand less than the RPTV.

Gary

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Also i need it to be 16:9 for sure and would prefer not sony since I have seen there HD sets and am not impressed by them.. Am leaning towards toshiba or maybe hitachi? Anyone have any comments or comparison to Mits?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe that ANY TV you buy is going to need some basis tweaks to get the image right. I have a Mits 55819, and the only thing I've done is adjusted the contrast, brightness, and turned off the SVM. The red push is an easy fix with a couple of attenuators that plug inline on your inputs. In my opinion...the picture looks pretty darn good...with only minimal treaks. Don't believe everything you hear about all sets REQUIRING an ISW calibration. As far as the size goes, I couldnt possibly imagine going to a 36-38 inche direct view after watching TV in 55 HDTV. If size is an issue becuase of space requirements...try the Mits 46(i think) RPTV.

To answer your other question....i dont think any HD ready TV's come with more than one 1080i input. Just curious...but why would you need more than one HD reciever.

Also, in my opion..that 38 RCA non-flat direct view HDTV looks kinda ugly with that curved screen. Stick with a flatscreen 36inch if you must go direct view. Gosh they are pricey though....good luck!!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the mits and it needs much more then basic stuff. The geometry is all messed up there are speed bumps everywhere. Also it needs a grey scale calibration and dvd color saturation just looks all wrong. It's stuff that is not basic to fix and am just not happy with the picture. Also I cannot use the red push attenuator since i use rgb inputs.

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79
I have the mits and it needs much more then basic stuff. The geometry is all messed up there are speed bumps everywhere. Also it needs a grey scale calibration and dvd color saturation just looks all wrong. It's stuff that is not basic to fix and am just not happy with the picture. Also I cannot use the red push attenuator since i use rgb inputs.
Savage,

with all of the geometry problems, have Sears exchange the set for another. If you do not stick with the 55" go with the 46809. It can be had for $1925.00. The amount of tweaks that need to be performed on the "out of the box" sets should only take you less than an hour and are well worth it. Switch to component so you can fix the red push issue. If you still want the set you have, did you called out service to correct the issues you are having? They should correct the problems or replace the set. I know Tweeter does this. If you return your set, it may be worth it for you to drive up to the Tweeter in Orland up near Chicago and they will get you a set to satisfy your needs. Good luck!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Savageone,

Why not plasma? The picture is the best I've ever seen and size is one of the benefits. Mine is hanging on the wall like a 3" thick picture.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plasma is to much money and they don't provide for that great of a picture. Only 720p at best and the contrast ratio they output is way lower then projection or tube sets. I would not buy a plasma today unless i was rich and had money to burn.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What do you mean 720p at best?

Maybe its just me but 720p is the highest resolution any "tv" can do right now.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Savageone,

You might wish to view some plasmas before saying the picture isn't very good. I replaced a Pioneer elite RPTV with a Panasonic 42" plasma. I loved my Pioneer but the dvd picture from the plasma is better in my opinion and it doesn't take near the space. Obviously you should obtain the best buy for your tastes and budget but don't knock the PQ unless you've done a comparison.

Dell is offering the 42" Panasonic for under $4500 on some deals now but delivery will probably be delayed. The contrast ratio while advertised at 3000:1 is less than that but still it is extremely good. Your biggest problem will be finding one to view.

Good luck with your search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.