AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Proscan 27" set is falling further and further behind the size and technology curves. It seemed big when we bought it a few years ago, and I guess it sort of was large compared to our previous 19" set. But today... it just doesn't cut it.

Uses: Plain old television...analog cable right now, then DirecTV within a month or two. Lots of DVDs. HDTV is only a vague possibility in the near to medium future, except to the extent that DirecTV offers it. But I don't want to blow a bunch of dough on a TV with no future protection, so let's say that HDTV support is a must.

Constraints: We bought a nice armoire a couple of years ago, and my wife is quite attached to it. Whatever we get has to fit inside it. This has several consequences: only a 4:3 display; no more than 38" wide or 22" depth, unless I want to cut a hole in the back of the armoire (a posiblility, but I'd rather not go there if I don't have to). Chairs are arranged in a wide semicircle around the armoire, which means that I need something with very wide off-axis viewing. The TV shelf is removable, so I can fit either a direct view OR a "tabletop" RPTV inside. E.g. the Toshiba 43" 4:3 RPTVs fit inside.

Seems to me that my problem is that (1) only a shallow RPTV will fit the cabinet, but (2) only a direct view TV has decent off-axis viewing.

Ideas? Recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jim,

I went through the 'purchase' phase a while ago and checked out several 32" 4 x 3 TVs. You will have a problem with the 22" depth restriction. I don't think anyone makes one that shallow and you have to consider the power chord as it extends from the back of the set. Most cable attachments are set in from the back so they are not as big a problem.

I tried a Panasonic but returned it due to geometry problems. I settled for a Hitachi 32UDX10S. It is HDTV ready and has an excellent line doubler (analog and digital cable look superb) and DVDs (progressive) are incredible. I paid $1.199.00 at CircuitCity.

Hope this helps,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.