AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
samsung 40 inch 1080p lcd (LN-S4095D]

is this a good, great, ok, horrible choice for a ps3 and hdmi setup

i also have an audio reciever and dish network so ill use hdmi for video and optical for sound

i have a fairly small living room and will be sitting approx 6 to 8 feet from screen

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am sure it will be fine, but bigger is better.... Been really happy with by Sony 3xLCD projector TV at 50"...

Go to the store and check it out yourself. My living room isnt any bigger, and I cant imagine having smaller TV - looking back, 55" would have been nice :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf /forum/post/0

I am sure it will be fine, but bigger is better.... Been really happy with by Sony 3xLCD projector TV at 50"...

Go to the store and check it out yourself. My living room isnt any bigger, and I cant imagine having smaller TV - looking back, 55" would have been nice :)

So would u suggest I go with this one or I was looking at the 50 and 56 inch dlp by samsung

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf /forum/post/0

I am sure it will be fine, but bigger is better....

Not at all. I would rather have a great 40 inch flat panel LCD than a good 55 inch LCD projector any day! I've been to all the display rooms (and to a number of my friend's "theatre rooms") and to me, bigger is never an indication of picture quality. I can barely stand to watch the PS2 on my uncle's new Sony 55 inch LCD projector, for instance. My Sony XBR LCD 40 inch, however = sweetness.

A funny thing about screen size vs quality now for us, is that my wife can't even stand going out to movies anymore. One of the many reasons is picture quality. All she does is pick apart how bad the picture looks on that big screen! (And it's true...movies at the theatre really do look pretty bad when you give them a critical look.)

Really, truth be told, once you get used to HD and BlueRay movies, you're going to start noticing PQ, and your impression of that is going to be completely independent of how large the screen is.

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaveli06 /forum/post/0

So would u suggest I go with this one or I was looking at the 50 and 56 inch dlp by samsung

check online reviews and check it in stores - your opinion is most worth. My friend said my Sony is a lot nicer than his DLP Samsung.

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishka /forum/post/0

Not at all. I would rather have a great 40 inch flat panel LCD than a good 55 inch LCD projector any day! I've been to all the display rooms (and to a number of my friend's "theatre rooms") and to me, bigger is never an indication of picture quality. I can barely stand to watch the PS2 on my uncle's new Sony 55 inch LCD projector, for instance. My Sony XBR LCD 40 inch, however = sweetness.

A funny thing about screen size vs quality now for us, is that my wife can't even stand going out to movies anymore. One of the many reasons is picture quality. All she does is pick apart how bad the picture looks on that big screen! (And it's true...movies at the theatre really do look pretty bad when you give them a critical look.)

Really, truth be told, once you get used to HD and BlueRay movies, you're going to start noticing PQ, and your impression of that is going to be completely independent of how large the screen is.

yeah, I watch HD and BD all the time, and 3xLCD seems pretty darn nice to me :).

Good 40" LCD costs 2x more than great "55 3xLCD projection TV...

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Follow these steps:

1) Allocate a budget. Most of the time this will be the limiting factor. Since you did say you are cramped for space, then I'm sure you're cramped for money. Also factor in that you want a HDMI receiver.

2) Measure out the intended space that the HDTV is supposed to be placed. Include your 5.1 speakers in your setup. Go from the largest to what can actually fit.

3) From there, choose your technologies. Plasma will always be more expensive than LCD but it won't have ghosting. RPTV will give the biggest picture for the same price of an LCD/plasma.

4) Do your research so that your components work well together and has enough inputs to be semi-future proof.

fuad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.