AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and just recently came into the market for a new TV after the 15 year old RCA ProScans magic smoke escaped. I hear it's really expensive to put that stuff back in..

I hope I'm in the right sub forum..

Anyways, at this point I'm look for a 60 or a 65 set. From a technical standpoint 1080p is all I really care about. I'm stuck with the DLP/Plasma/LCD/LED dilemma. My biggest concern is reliability and ability to withstand a 4 year old and a 9 year old and their friends. The TV is on probably 8 hours a day even if it's not really being watched. Large part of that is PS3 gaming.

What I've found in my price range of just above $1000 are as follows:

1 - DLP: 65 Mitsubishi WD-65738. The cheapest option, and the largest. Thickness is not an issue. I am worried about the white dot problem I keep reading about though. Other than that, parts should be relatively cheap to replace should a bulb go out or whatever.

2 - Plasma: 60 LG 60pv450. I'm concerned that Plasmas have a glass screen and may not be able to handle an occasional ball flung into the screen or a HotWheel driven on it. Not that I'm ever OK with that happening, but you can't control other peoples kids sometimes. Also they are heavy and top-heavy. Wouldn't want that thing toppling over on anybody.

3 - LED: 60 Sharp Aquos LC-60LE633U. The most expensive option. Haven't done much research on this as I just came across it. Would prefer to avoid this as it is the most expensive one unless it's inherently more reliable/durable.

Thoughts? More particularly around reliability and durability. Image quality is secondary at this point, as they all will be considerably better than the 15 year old Std Def rear projection. Anything about these sets in particular I should know about?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
definitely not dlp unless you want the cheapest set. dlp is pretty much a dead tech

check out the panny plasmas ...30 series. they have 2 models

one is higher end than the other.

also the sony lcd 949 or 929, not sure of the number or the new sharp lcd elite models

·
Registered
863 Posts
The dlp sets I have seen do NOT do well in bright rooms, or vertically off-angle.

Overall reliability also seems to be an issue, along with the cost of replacement lamps. Not a set I would chose for kids viewing - would be afraid that the screen could be easily damaged - or "on all-day" usage.

OTOH, recently saw a new 72" (?) Mits at a friend's house, and while I would not pick the PQ over a plasma the set was certainly watchable - and Impressively Large (!). (Note: only light in the room was that coming from the set itself.)

Screen material is a bother: if the screen is "soft" than it is likely to be prone to scratching or "dents." If Glass, than it should be tougher - UP to the point of an impact strong enough to actually break it...

You CAN purchase "unbreakable screen protectors," and if your kids (OR their friends...) are rough enough, one might be worthwhile.

Also, you can always tie Whatever set you purchase to the wall it backs up against. Believe that the last set we purchased (a Samsung plasma for daughter & her husband) came with a tether that you could attach to the wall - much like many bookcases do.

For Reliability: would stick with Panasonic over LG. Also note that LGs tend to have more problems with image retention (although newer sets are apparently better in this regard).

Price out a Panasonic S30 - have seen the 60" size priced at least near your ballpark. Not as nice as an ST30, but much less expensive in the 60" size class.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Perhaps the SHARP is the most expensive option but it is the best of those 3 sets. Considering the size and type of set it is, the price is actually very fair compared to how much it would have cost last year.

·
Registered
162 Posts
60" for only 1000$? well the IQ will be mehhh. why not a good 46-50" tv? for 1000€ in EU you can get the panasonic 50G30 so in US the price must be around 1000$.

if im see the things right the 2010 model Sharp LE821E is superior than LE633U in IQ and if image of 1st was almost a crap cant believe how bad the LE633U can be. (and if this is the best of 3 options cant really imagine the IQ of LG 60pv450 and Mitsubishi WD-65738)

just go with small screen but a very good one...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm personally not sold on the current state of LED technology - in particular the degradation of the LED backlighting. I've seen some calibration reports here of light output loss in the range of 20% after only a single year of use. Although that could prove to be the exception.

I'd opt for the plasma personally.

·
Registered
132 Posts
DLP is dead? That's sad. I just got back from a buddy's house who has the Samsung LED LCD 8000 series. I think it is junk. I don't like the motion, and I don't like the pixelation (especially on SD movies). Went to the electronics store to see other options is LCD and plasma. The plasma was darker, and I can see the grid lines. In LCD, you need LED in order to see the contrast, otherwise you will be missing much of the photo detail.

I have a rear projection TV. Came back on home to watch a movie. I noticed no grid, no pixels, excellent contrast, and perfect motion. No problems.

I think the only reason why LCD/Plasma is popular is because everyone wants a flat screen.

To me, a rear projection, or DLP, or digital laser, is like having a professional theater system in a smaller box. If manufacturers would market a theater in a box, everyone would go nuts over the old technology.

I'm still waiting for the new technology to catch up to my old technology. Then I'll get a new TV. Until then, my rear projection TV is king!

Jake

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake /forum/post/20907123

DLP is dead? That's sad. I just got back from a buddy's house who has the Samsung LED LCD 8000 series. I think it is junk. I don't like the motion, and I don't like the pixelation (especially on SD movies). Went to the electronics store to see other options is LCD and plasma. The plasma was darker, and I can see the grid lines. In LCD, you need LED in order to see the contrast, otherwise you will be missing much of the photo detail.

I have a rear projection TV. Came back on home to watch a movie. I noticed no grid, no pixels, excellent contrast, and perfect motion. No problems.

I think the only reason why LCD/Plasma is popular is because everyone wants a flat screen.

To me, a rear projection, or DLP, or digital laser, is like having a professional theater system in a smaller box. If manufacturers would market a theater in a box, everyone would go nuts over the old technology.

I'm still waiting for the new technology to catch up to my old technology. Then I'll get a new TV. Until then, my rear projection TV is king!

Jake

Until you sit 10 degrees off axis and the picture fades into a white blur. No thank you.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
DLP is not dead (in case you havent heard mitsu just launched a 92 inch monster set, and dlp tech is in just about every movie theater in the country/world) and is the best option when considering large screen options at affordable prices. The pic is very good even at 10 degrees off angle. My secondary couch is much more then 10 degrees off angle and is perfectly fine and comfy spot to view my mitsu 65 incher. The viewing angles suffer much more on the vertical angles though, but how often does one do any critical viewing while standing up? The sets are durable enough to stand up to my 9 year old and his friends no problem. The pic an suffer if you have extreme amounts of day time bright light, but all the techs suffer in one way or another in non light controlled environments. Also dlp has the most film like appearance and is the king when it comes to 3D if your interested in it.

I would recommend that the op seriously consider the dlp as an option over a plasma because I would be concerened about burn in with the kids using the set. Burn in is not something to ignore and still exists, harder to get now vs years ago, but not impossible. I like plasmas a lot but understand their shortcomings and the info that the op mentioned makes me wary of recomending one for his needs.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake /forum/post/0

I don't have a viewing angle problem on the L-shaped couch. That's much wider than 10 degrees.

I was overstating of course for comedic effect. I oftntimes sit as far as 30 to 45 degrees from my tv at home. Especially when I have guests. I will give them the couch so they have the best view of the viewing. Will a DLP perform adequetly under those circumstances? The ones I have seen personally would not but admittedly I haven't looked very hard at DLP since about 2008 when I stopped TV hunting but then again I don't really see them in stores anymore either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.