AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I looking for some advice here. I just bought my Epson 8350, and am looking to make a DIY Screen. I am planning on painting regular drywall. It's new construction, in a basement that I am finishing. Naturally, my HT room will be the first room finished

So here's the info, let me know if you need more:

14 ft throw

106" diagonal 16:9 screen.

Epson 8350.

light controlled bat cave.

I plan on using it for 1080p blu ray movies and gaming (computer and ps3).

Thanks a lot, and happy Thanksgiving!

-Chris

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not an answer, but more info for thought.

I've got my 8350 throwing ~15. I hope to have it @ ~12 soon once it's mounted in it's final position. I'm doing 120inches and basically have it in torch mode all the time
Even when it's dark outside. I'm throwing onto a light gray (Behr Silver Screen) rolled screen. I'm currently looking for other rolled on formulas for more 'pop'. -edit, after 2 hours of research, I'm gonna go w/ the RS-MaxxMudd formula w/ a HVLP sprayer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I will be spraying on whatever mixture I end up going with as well. I could certainly move the projector closer, but from looking at one of the online calculators it seemed that 14 ish feet was optimum. I probably am not reading the calculator properly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good luck.... I'm almost in the same boat... I put a few links in "My Screen Thread"... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1291131

I'm also going with the RS Maxmudd... I'm still Skim Coating and prepping the wall while waiting for my mount and sprayer.

I'm planning on rolling some grey Primer to look for defects. Skim again and then spray a White base.....

Good to see a few of us starting this at the same time - Post some pics. I'll try to get some in my thread later.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdweaver /forum/post/19547612

Thanks for the info. I will be spraying on whatever mixture I end up going with as well. I could certainly move the projector closer, but from looking at one of the online calculators it seemed that 14 is feet was optimum. I probably am not reading the calculator properly.

Well, for years, the middle of any PJ's throw range was the optimal point, but due to the Lenses and how they performed. Today, many PJs such as the Epsons have exceedingly wide Throw ratios. And those PJs with short throw ratios also have better constructed lenses.

If you compare, say a Optoma HD20 and it's throw distances, they are crowded between a distance of only just over 3'. The Epson 8350? almost 13' !! When there is such a disparity in "locate-ability" it's obvious which PJ is more suited to a variety of installation options.

However the longer the throw, the less Lumens will reach the screen. That means less Ft. Lamberts "off the screen". The reverse is also true...the closer the PJ, the brighter the image. A HD20's brightness varies only a couple Fls over 3', while a PJ like the 8350 varies a full 12 FLs between 14' and 10'

That's simply HUGE, and can be a terrific advantage if;

.... one needs more brightness for a Gray Screen to help battle ambient light.

.... one needs more brightness because screen size is maximized.

.... one wants to run in Econo Lamp Mode for better Blacks and longer Bulb life.

It can be daunting to try to learn enough fast enough to take all they variables into account when making decisions toward buying a PJ/Screen combo that would be ideally suited for one's needs. Too often, decisions are made without accounting for other parameters, and then Louts like myself must step in and Pop balloons , spit on Post Toasties, and kick sand in the eyes of Noobs who failed to ask first...jump afterwards.

You seem to be asking first, so no spit or sand for you!

Move the PJ in to 12' to gain a full 6 fls

Being a Bat Cave, if your planning effective "Spot Lighting", you can go with a 1.3 gain DIY "Rolled Screen" such as RS-MaxxMudd, or spray the same to even greater effect.

Set the 830 on low lamp, calibrate it to the very light silver-shade of gray of the Rs-MaxxMudd, and you'll be all set fer shur.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha feel free to pop, spit, and kick as much as required. I'm married, I can handle it.

But yeah, it appeared that there was a huge range of distances at which you can put the epson, that's what caused my confusion. Makes sense to put it on the closer side to take advantage of mo brightness.

I am hanging sconce lights on the wall, controlled by a dimmer, although I'm guessing they will off while we're actually watching movies.

So to recap, I'll stick the PJ at 12', and spray on a nice RS-MaxxMudd screen and see how she looks

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll post pics as it gets done, but it'll be a while. Work is keeping the man down! Hopefully it'll be done within a month or so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by expertmech
Good luck.... I'm almost in the same boat... I put a few links in "My Screen Thread"... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1291131

I'm also going with the RS Maxmudd... I'm still Skim Coating and prepping the wall while waiting for my mount and sprayer.

I'm planning on rolling some grey Primer to look for defects. Skim again and then spray a White base.....

Good to see a few of us starting this at the same time - Post some pics. I'll try to get some in my thread later.
Hey sounds good, I'll check out your thread, thanks!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdweaver /forum/post/19552090

Haha feel free to pop, spit, and kick as much as required. I'm married, I can handle it.

Must be to a Red Head. So's mine. Can be messy though.

Quote:
So to recap, I'll stick the PJ at 12', and spray on a nice RS-MaxxMudd screen and see how she looks

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll post pics as it gets done, but it'll be a while. Work is keeping the man down! Hopefully it'll be done within a month or so.

Keep reading, dreaming....lusting....* Should wind up being sooner than later.

·
Registered
112 Posts
First post, first PJ, all that nonsense...

AVSforum kicks ass, how did I not find this until now?

Anyway, most of my details are similar to Chris in the OP, so I thought I'd piggyback and look for some advice from MM. I bought myself an Epson 8350 for a soon-to-be-finished basement and now I need advice on a DIY Screen.

Here's what I'm thinking for room setup:

1) Epson 8350

2) 12' throw (tentative)

3) 100" diag 16:9 screen (tentative)

4) 11'-14' viewing distance

5) Basement installation with 100% light control potential, but with a white ceiling and mid-tone walls. (This man cave can't be a bat cave because it needs to double as a kid cave with a touch of wife cave... we all make compromises in life!)

6) I'm actually hoping to use this room more for sports/parties/entertaining/poker tournaments etc with significant ambient light in other parts of the room than I am for ultra-dark night time movie watching (although there will be some of that.)

So, since I'm looking to get as much brightness and contrast as possible with less-than-ideal wall and ceiling paint AND in mid-ambient light conditions, I was thinking mount the PJ close and limit the screen to 100"? Maybe a grey screen like the RS-MaxxMudd paint then just back down to cinema mode for dark room viewing?

What about WilsonArt Dove Grey in this installation?

Thanks to all... great forum.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by develvjd- /forum/post/19565734

First post, first PJ, all that nonsense...

AVSforum kicks ass, how did I not find this until now?

Welcome to AVS....at last.

Quote:
Anyway, most of my details are similar to Chris in the OP, so I thought I'd piggyback and look for some advice from MM. I bought myself an Epson 8350 for a soon-to-be-finished basement and now I need advice on a DIY Screen.

Here's what I'm thinking for room setup:

1) Epson 8350

2) 12' throw (tentative)

3) 100" diag 16:9 screen (tentative)

4) 11'-14' viewing distance

5) Basement installation with 100% light control potential, but with a white ceiling and mid-tone walls. (This man cave can't be a bat cave because it needs to double as a kid cave with a touch of wife cave... we all make compromises in life!)

6) I'm actually hoping to use this room more for sports/parties/entertaining/poker tournaments etc with significant ambient light in other parts of the room than I am for ultra-dark night time movie watching (although there will be some of that.)

So, since I'm looking to get as much brightness and contrast as possible with less-than-ideal wall and ceiling paint AND in mid-ambient light conditions, I was thinking mount the PJ close and limit the screen to 100"? Maybe a grey screen like the RS-MaxxMudd paint then just back down to cinema mode for dark room viewing?

What about WilsonArt Dove Grey in this installation?

Thanks to all... great forum.

The Screen size, and a close-in mount (11') will optimize your performance by increasing brightness. RS-MaxxMudd is a good choice, but don't overlook the design / use of correct lighting close to the Screen and elsewhere in the room. A judicious choice in style and positioning can give you a LOT of light where you need / want it, but almost NO ambient light washing against the Screen.

Screen height can work to offset the White ceiling. 100" diagonal is only 49" high, so if you can maintain 18"- 20" from the Ceiling to the top edge of the image, you'll have much less concern about adverse reflections of the ceiling's white expanse.

You won't find WA-DG an acceptable choice. If the Wall is prepped well, it alone can serve you good stead, and allow you to first Frame your image location "after" installing the PJ, mask off the Screen's perimeter edges + 2" additional all around, and paint the Screen exactly where you decide in advance that it will do the most good...as well as the size you might decide is most appropriate.

If a substrate is needed, and you stick to the 98" - 100" diagonal size, a $12.00 4' x 8' sheet of Thrifty White Hardboard is all you'll need to paint upon.

Beyond all of that, if you get a little nervous about having really effective ambient light performance, a bump up into a Silver Fire 3.0 mix would not be too much torment.

PS,

Although you edited it out (...we have ways of finding out these things...), unless the Kids (or Wife) weigh several hundred pounds (each) or practice "Goose Stepping" drills around the Kitchen's Center Island, you should have no potential of seeing any visible "Image Shake".

·
Registered
112 Posts
Awesome advice MM. So you think Silver Fire 3.0 the right choice for my situation?

EDIT... nm, figured it out.

Any reason to consider an even smaller screen size like 90" and Silver fire 4.0 for even higher ambient light performance?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by develvjd- /forum/post/19577754

Awesome advice MM. So you think Silver Fire 3.0 the right choice for my situation?

EDIT... nm, figured it out.

Any reason to consider an even smaller screen size like 90" and Silver fire 4.0 for even higher ambient light performance?

That's the way to go about it. Use a 9' Throw, w/ SF 4.0 on 90"s diagonal. That amounts to 39 fls hitting the 1.2 gain SF screen and with the result you'll have "Beyond Black Di *you-know-who* performance.

You would have to run the 8350 in Living Room Mode though......but there's nothing wrong with that anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alrighty, it's a bit premature, but I'm going to round up the stuff for the MaxxMudd. I'm just not 100% sure where to get everything. I thought I saw a thread a few weeks ago that said where to find it, but now I lost the thread somewhere on the interwebs...

RS-MaxxMudd (for moderate ambient light)

16 oz. Delta Pearl Metallic #02601

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdweaver /forum/post/19587010

So I have started hanging drywall, hope to finish the hanging this weekend, maybe start mudding. Thanks again!

Concentrate on feathering (sanding) out the edges of every Mud Line / Screw Head patch.

Get them absolutely perfect. It takes only a tiny variable in surface height (high or low) to stand out once a high contrast spray coating is applied.

Sometimes you can spot an issue with the Primer Coat, but it is advised to have a quart of primer tinted to a M8.0 gray and applyi it first...inspect the wall....fix any blemishes, then "White Prime" over the Gray. Do all that and you can get an absolutely perfect surface.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tips. I've done a bit of auto painting (although it was a long time ago) so I'm hoping the painting technique is somewhat transferable.

I've never tried to make drywall look as perfect as it needs to look for this though. I'll be real careful with the primer coat.

But for the MaxxMudd mix, do I need to use the Home Depot Behr UPW shtuff or is there a Lowe's alternative that will work?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdweaver /forum/post/19596845

Thanks for the tips. I've done a bit of auto painting (although it was a long time ago) so I'm hoping the painting technique is somewhat transferable.

I've never tried to make drywall look as perfect as it needs to look for this though. I'll be real careful with the primer coat.

But for the MaxxMudd mix, do I need to use the Home Depot Behr UPW shtuff or is there a Lowe's alternative that will work?

Valspar Interior Enamel is a very excellent alternative.

It's good to see your considering the necessity of careful examination of the Wall / Screen surface. White Primer doesn't show enough detail though, so as mentioned above, have it tinted a medium Gray. That will make all the difference.....I'm a tellin' ya!

If you have painted Autos, over Bondo or other sanded areas...then you've seen how a Gray Primer makes missed areas needing corrections jump out and smack ya in the nose. Scratches, almost imperceptible dents/bumps...they all show their shadowed areas far easier when the contrast coefficient is increased through the use of a higher contrast Gray.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I had to give my arms and back a rest after all that drywalling. Ok I'm lying, I wasn't tired. But I had to see how the 8350 looked

Not that you can tell how the picture looks from that... Anyhow, a few more pieces of drywall need to get hung then I can start mudding. Hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
MississippiMan, I must say, you're a real asset to the AVS community. I've been reading the forums for months now and will probably be pulling the trigger on the 8350 very soon. In reading all of the posts above, it sounds like the Silver Fire is the winner in this DIY discussion. However, I've read some really good things about the Black Widow on other posts. Do you have a preference/recommendation of one over the other? I like the simplicity of the Black Widow formula, but if I can get "Black Di..."
performance for a little more work, it'll be worth it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.