AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I was looking at the Panasonic Viera Tc L37dt30 LED tv for my father. He has Directv in standard and not HD. Do any of you know how the picture quality is in Standard definiton as opossed to the other LED tv's? WHich ones would have optimal picture quality in Standard definition? The screen size can be 40" as well, I just happened to see this panasonic offered in 37"

Thank you for any information.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Why not upgrade to DirecTV HD? If his 2 year programming commitment is up he can call them and ask for a free equipment upgrade (he would have to pay $10mo. for HD service). If they want to charge him for equipment he can threaten to switch to Dish and they'll probably relent. If not, just have him cancel D and switch to Dish--as a new customer he'll get lots of freebies.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/20821076

Why not upgrade to DirecTV HD? If his 2 year programming commitment is up he can call them and ask for a free equipment upgrade (he would have to pay $10mo. for HD service). If they want to charge him for equipment he can threaten to switch to Dish and they'll probably relent. If not, just have him cancel D and switch to Dish--as a new customer he'll get lots of freebies.

To add to this, HD is now free if you choose Choice Xtra or higher packages. If he renews his contract, his HD should be free, along with the equipment upgrade.

As far as the tv, Panasonic LED sets are good, but I think they have an inaccurate color gamut that cannot be adjusted, and limited picture controls.

Is the price unbeatable? Why choose Panasonic for an LED?

I would much rather opt for a Samsung or Sharp. They seem to be ahead of the game in small LEDs compared to Panasonic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After looking at some of the 40" Samsungs at a local store, i noticed that the viewing angle from the sides isn't as clear as the Vieras'. There are also a few colleagues at work who have complained about the lack of support with Samsung whenever a problem occurs. Some of the Cnet reviews on Samsung also mentioned Screen glare when the room is brightly lit.

I do not know much about the Sharp models but I will take a look at them.

The net factor in selecting the tv is for movie viewing picture quality and not for any gaming, pc or other use.

The few reviews regarding the new Viera looked solid, notwithstanding the array of complaints that I have seen with every other model.

I shall take a look at a few more Samsungs and SHarp models. Any other 37 or 40" models that you have that offer very good picture quality?

Thank you for all your advice and suggestions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reviews for the Panasonic Viera DT30 on the Amazon site were unilaterally quite strong. That was one more reason why this particular model caught my eye.

I am currently looking at the the Sharp and Samsung modles and if anyone has any experience with these personally, please offer any input. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.