AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for a new projector for my Golf Simulator setup. Currently have a Canon LV 7325 @ 1500 lumens but image is washed out with the lights on and can't really see a lot of detail in the images projected.

I am looking for good picture even in a room with bright lights . I am projecting on a white cloth material that is used as an impact screen for the golf ball. Obviously, this isn't going to be the best environment for picture quality but figured I would ask so I know what specs to look for in a new projector.

Is 3000 lumens a good number or should I look for more?

What about contrast ratio?

Resolution (1024*768) is fine as it seems prices really go up as the resolutions go up.

I am planning on having a lot of light in this room as mentioned and would like to find something to hopefully still show good detail as the Golf Sims have great images of courses with great tree and landscape detail and would like to be able to see them clearly.

I was looking at the BenQ MP723 @3300 Lumens - which I can get for under 1k (looking to stay under this number)

Any advise would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Bright light shining on a projection screen will wash out the image no matter how bright the projector spec.

Avoid overhead bright light that shines directly on the screen. Use less direct and shaded room light.

The screen can be recessed into an area that limits the amount of light that actually shines onto the screen.

I've been using projection for presentations and other video applications since the late 70s and the fact is that directly light on your screen causes wash out and a disappointing image.

I don't think you need bright, overhead room lights when using golf simulation software.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree, spotlights would work best, the darker the screen is with all the lights on the better. What color paint is on the rest of the room? Darker is obviously better. If I were you i'd look into rear projection setups (and I'm not talking about TVs).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes, rear projection would be best for rooms with ambient light, but that is more expensive usually and can require a lot of space behind the screen. Next best - a retro reflective screen, projector near eye level, & lighting not shining toward the screen, such as spotlights pointing down from ceiling, wall sconces behind or around the screen, or floor lamps pointed away from the screen. A bright projector helps some, but no projector can be as bright as room lighting that hits the screen, so you want to keep light off the screen and have the screen retro-reflective to reject light coming from the sides and around. Retro reflective screens get a fair amount of play in these forums, and they include goo systems for DIY, or the Da-lite High Power screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies.

Rear projection sounds good but don't have the ability to move my setup to accomodate this.

As far as the lights go, I realize I am trying to do something that goes against how projectors are supposed to be used to get a great image, but I need light in the room because I also have a video camera that is used in capturing the golf swing as the ball is hit on to the projection screen. Camera needs decent amount of light to get a clear video.

Yes, I know, asking a lot and realize I am not going to get a great image but wondering if getting a higher lumen projector would improve the image enough to warrant me spending money on this.

So even going from 1500 lumens to 3000 lumens won't give a nice change in the projected image?

I thought a lot of these high lumen projectors were made for rooms with lights on?

I am also going to look at changing up my lighting to reduce the amount that gets on the screen.

thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
So here is what you should try first, use only spotlights and only have them pointed where they need to be. Use dark green (or any dark color) curtains surrounding the area so that light does not reflect onto the screen. Ignore all the other upgrades just like some people who already have nice audio equipment wishing to upgrade but they fore-go acoustical treatments.

look at these apparent uses of spot lighting for example:
http://www.hdgolfsimulators.co.uk/
http://www.golf-simulator-rental.com...us_Hunting.jpg
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
You could light the golfer.

As for rear projection, you could look into xga lcd ultra short throw projectors (Hitachi, and now Epson). List prices are generally high as these a mostly sold in volume to education users (interactive whiteboards and os on). Together with some strechy lycra fabric. Depending on how big your display needs to be, this may result in an acceptable behind the screen space requirement.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Higher lumens does accomadate for ambient light, but it is true, if you have lights shining directly onto your screen, it doesn't matter how bright your projector is, it will still be extremely difficult to see the projection... if you have lights or lamps shining directly onto your screen turn them off.

But yes, if you're looking at the MP723, definately check out the BenQ MP776, it is quite similar to the 723, but may be able to get it for cheaper than the 723. The 776 has similar specs.: 3500 lumens (slightly higher), 2600:1 contrast ratio (higher contrast ratio), and other specs seem quite similar. The MP776 pretty much outperforms the 723 slightly, but seem to be in the relatively same price range. Maybe something to consider as well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts