AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching and reading a lot on threads in these forums I think I have decided what to go with.

My room will be our family room, plan on watching movies at night, no outside lights interfere. Can close blinds to 2 windows to get nearly pitch black in house even when its still a little sunny outside. The 2 windows will behind our kitchen and couches.

Plan on showing it on a white wall for now, and couches will be about 9-10' away from wall. The projector will be on a coffee table in front of us maybe 8-8.5' away from wall.

If I go DLP I think I have decided on the HD65 as my projector. Fits my price and the videos of it look great on youtube.

I need to go to a store here and look at their RPTV DLP, lamp powered to see if I can see any rainbow effect, Im assuming if not then I shouldnt on a projector right? Cuz, this is the only part that would prevent me from buying a DLP at this point. Unfortunately no stores around here have a DLP fpj setup to demo =(

If I do see rainbows then DLP is out and Ive looked around researched 3LCD ones in this price range. Everyone says and the reviews say the AX200 Panasonic is amazing, picture quality is untouched by others...BUT, then I saw the issues with flashing bulbs, the colors going wacky over time and parts of the screen get discoloration or saturation loss...

Ive read about the HC1500/1600 saw the 1500 is way to go then about its shortcomings. Probably cant find one for decent price anymore. Epson Cinema 720, read about that and its a little too expensive as well, didnt see anyone really say anything AWESOME about it...just that its decent.

Then I read as much as I could about the sanyo Z60, and its definitely within my price range depending where I get it and havent seen anyone really say anything negative about it other than its not as bright as other projectors.

So anyways, I just wanted to ask do you all think Im on the right track, or have other suggestions for reasons Im missing?

Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
Welcome to the forums GenTarkin.

If a Best Buy is near you, they sometimes have those Magnolia sections where they sometimes will have some pjs set up. Otherwise, there might be a custom HT installer in your area.

The other option is to ask other AVSers in your area if they would be willing to demo their pj for you.

I recently upgraded from an X1 to a Mits HC1600 (about 7 benjamins or so), and my whole family loves it, no rainbow issues except for low quality 480i material. But since Comcast went all digital, the 480p vids are okay, the contrast, brightness and coloration make them endurable. It's a 2x color wheel, so a small minority are a little more susceptible to RBE, but no one in my family or some of the friends have any complaints so far (20+ people - okay, maybe not a big enough sample pool, but still...).

In fact, I was satisfied with my X1 for the longest time, until it finally gave up the ghost after over 6 years - and that was a VGA rez pj too.

If you are dead set on the HD65, it has a 4x color wheel, so that will help minimize any RBE even further.

A X9 might be another option, if they ever go on sale again at TD or CC, that would be in your price range (but they are also 2x color wheel pjs).

Happy hunting, I don't think you will go wrong with some of the more recent 720p pjs, the big screen will be awesome, just you wait and see...Just don't be a perfectionist, or you'll start upgrading and wanting to tweak everything and enjoy the vids less!

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Do your selve a favor and forget those cheap DLPS.Get at least a epson 720 or ax200 from panasonic.They offer 2x brightness.Unlimited placement.No rainbow's'why make your quest sick.Both of these are below $1000.If you want a DLP'Save for the BENQ 5000 or the new Sharp'and they are 1080p

·
Registered
82 Posts
So I just got an Optoma HD65 in the mail today, after a big thread on these forums much like yours. Except, I had a small room.

I put it up on a green wall with a glossy white door in between, with ambient light in the room, and even under those conditions the picture on HDTV was flat out AMAZING.

I didn't have a cheap HDTV either. I had a large Sharp Aquos 1080p HDTV, completely calibrated. It wasn't a Kuro, but it was still amazing. Let me just say, it pales in comparison to the HD65.

I was hesitant on buying it, thinking maybe I should get 1080p, but I am not longer worried.

Although, My screen is only going to be about 84 inch's.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the reason I want to avoid LCD unless I have to go to it because of RBE on DLP is because, I hate color issues and I hate the fact the panels can shift or misalign in time. The panasonic I read has alot of issues over time regarding bulb fluctuating and parts of the screen fluctuating...so forth, this just seems to be the issue with LCD in general, I know it is when I buy a new LCD flat panel monitor...they all seems to have some sort of color or brightness uniformity issue...

The z60 was interesting to me because although its an LCD, I have not seen many complaints regarding it and it is around the price Im looking for. Both the 720 and x200 are around 1000$. It also has a 3 year warranty so if anything does happen regarding uniformity or panel degredation I bet it will be covered.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I stopped by the local electronics place for a bit, they did not have projectors but they had tons of mitsubishi latest DLP RPTV's setup that were lamp based. I did not see any rainbow effect after watching the demos for like 5 mins.

Im wondering since I didnt see any on these...I dont know their colorwheel specs. Would it be safe to say I wont see any on the HD65?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: I went back to local store after work and looked at the DLP RPTV's again, thinkin I must be crazy that I could not see any RBE, so I tried what most commonly can cause it, I moved my eyes really fast from one side of screen to the other without focusing on the screen and I could see the bands of green / red color in the picture outlining lines and stuff. I really had to try hard using this method. In just normal watching tho I couldnt see them at all, I think this is a good thing.

The only unknown is I dont know their colorwheel specs vs say the HD65.

But I do know they are the latest Mitsubishi RPTV's out so, if anyone knows the colorwheel specs I can compare and probably do a fairly good judgment on whether I Will see it with HD65 or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.