AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need advice of possible modifications / reductions on the proposed plan. My house is still under construction and this is just a proposal for now.

Room
  • Dimension (LxWxH: 20.5 ft x 17.5 ft x 9 ft)
  • 1 row of seats.
  • 4 seats in the row (D-Box seat actuators)
  • Small bar behind
Room Treatment:
  • Theater design and treatment by CinemaTech
  • All absorbers and diffusers on wall and covered by fabric
  • Attached image of some renderings
Audio:
  • 7.4.4 system
  • LCR: Wisdom Sage L150i in wall
  • Surrounds: 4 Wisdom L75i in wall
  • Ceiling: 4 Wisdom ICS7a in ceiling
  • Subs: 4 Wisdom S90i
  • Processor: Trinnov Altitude 32
  • Amps: 4 Wisdom SA3 for LCR and Subs
  • Amps: 2 Wisdom SA8 for Sides, Rear and Ceiling
Video:
  • Projector: Christie Griffyn HC
  • Processor: MadVR Envy
  • Screen: Very large 4 way masking screen with 55* viewing angel for 2.4:1 content and 45* angel for 1.78:1 content
Others:
  • Kaleidescape system
  • Panasonic UD9000 UHD player
  • AVPro Edge distribution
  • Control4 control system
The rendering shows 3 seats and a play table. But the play table will be removed and will have 4 seats.

I am spending around 85k for room treatment, aesthetics and seats. Most of the cost is equipment.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I want to add my 2 cents, but thats literally all it would be worth lol As someone who could never even imagine spending a 1/10th of that, all I can say is do your research and dont be taken by smooth talking or lofty promises. Spending $475,000 on just equipment for a room the size of a 2 car garage seems overkill and I'd be worried you wouldn't get anywhere near the potential the gear could actually produce because of that size. Now I could be 100% wrong and that could be a great price. I'm sure there's a few people on here that have first hand experience with that kind of a theater budget. Good luck either way

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,278 Posts
Get a couple more proposals from Quest Acoustic interiors and the Erskine group. They will design and completely build a high performance theater for half that. That proposal is the installers Wet Dream.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My initial thought was whether $550,000 is for the theater or for the house! I can't imagine spending even 1/2 of that on an addition that would be a dedicated theater.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'd certainly consider adding wides if you're screen is taking the full front wall. Additionally, I'd consider a center height speakers and perhaps additional speakers to fully optimize for Auro3D, ATMOS and DTS:X especially since you're using the Trinnov. As this is a new build, consider higher ceilings, non-rectangular layout, etc. Review some of the AVS hi-end build threads to get a good feel for what others have done, gone through and changes they would have made had they done it all over again.

I also recommend getting some other quotes / ideas before making your final decision to ensure you get best bang for the buck. Be sure too keep in mind that you will also need to update your HVAC for best comfort, keeping equipment cool and to prevent sound transfer to the rest of your home.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
32 channel processor but 7.4.4 sounds like over half the channels you're paying for are going unused. I think there's an analogy in there somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
VERY much this. Why a Trinnov 32? If you didn't request a Trinnov for a specific reason, and you only plan to have 7.4.4 speakers this is a huge waste. Also, did they really plan this to have tower speakers just placed on the floor in the rear for $500k? 😖

Please look into other companies who will do a better job for you.

Edit: Hold on... did you choose that projector for any specific reason? I can't even find a list price for it. Again, unless you chose it for a reason, someone is just loading you up with extremely high priced gear that you don't need.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
Acoustic Frontiers has designed some really quality theaters of the ones I've visited. Here's a list you might have seen here on AVSforum.
AVS Forum Home Theater Projects - Acoustic Frontiers

Take a look at the Rob Hahn Theater Build which is kind of the gold standard, as far as I've ever seen on these forums. I've not experienced this one.
Rob Hahn Theater build | AVS Forum

This is probably my favorite dedicated Home Theater of those I've visited from AVS Enthusiasts (probably of 50+ theater rooms off these forums):
The Savoy | AVS Forum

I don't think you have to spend as much money on equipment as you are expecting/planning. Actually let me rephrase, If you spend that much on equipment, IMO you are being taken to the cleaners, blindfolded.

I'll note that you only have to go to a few trades shows and then visit some local enthusiasts rooms to learn this. I've been to Axpona a couple years and heard $800,000 speakers, and then gone a few rooms over and heard $300 speakers, and heard just about everything in between. The $800,000 speakers have BEAUTIFUL cabinetry, and give you a sense of pride in ownership, I'm sure -- but here's a dirty little secret. The bass drivers those $800,000 speakers used were Dayton Ultimax subwoofers. My friends and I chuckled when we saw that.
They look very fancy with their carbon fiber cone, but ultimately they are $300 drivers. So lets be very optimistic (naïve) and say there were $5,000 dollars of drivers in total in those speakers (because they bought the VERY BEST of everything (which probably isn't true because while the Dayton Ultimax is a great subwoofer driver, it's not the absolute best -- so if they picked it, then it's probably safe to say they were seeking aesthetics over absolute best performance). So, assuming a very generous $5,000 in drivers, that means those fancy cabinets cost $795,000. :O
That's a lot to pay for aesthetics, especially when you hear many speakers that same day visiting the various rooms that sound just as good that only cost a week's, or month's wage instead of a lifetime's.

I don't think I'll make speaker recommendations in my post here (though I do have plenty), but I will advise you to reach out to local members in your area that you can find in a thread like the one I'll link below and take them up on a demo, and get a feel for different rooms, what you do like and what you don't. Even if these theater spaces are far below your expected spend, you might just find some local enthusiasts have put together an amazing audio experience for a fraction of that cost. I know the title says subwoofer, but these folk all have full home theater systems in most cases, and the thread is generally up to date with the first post listing potential audition possibilities in your area with other avid HT enthusiasts.

The "I'll demo my subwoofer for other enthusiasts" thread. | AVS Forum

Also the Area Home Theater Meets section:
Area Home Theater Meets | AVS Forum

I think it's also fair to ask your installer/designer for customer references in/or outside of your area where you can go experience what they've designed. If you are dropping that much money on a theater, I think it's worth really experiencing some HT spaces first to learn what you are targeting. In the Home theater world the law of diminishing returns is applicable.

Good luck, go slow, get multiple bids, get references, read up on your own! You've started in a good place by seeking input here.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think an Alcons-based system would perform better (or the same) for less. If you are going to have a Trinnov, then I would at a minimum go with a 9.4.6 system, not 7.4.4.

As someone else said, build a room behind this room to put all your equipment and the projector in.

If you are spending that much, why not go for the Eclipse and have the greatest cinema projector ever built?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Half a million dollars for a 4-seat, ~3,200 cu.ft., 7.4.4-ch HT. o_O Definitely get a couple more quotes.
VERY much this. Why a Trinnov 32? If you didn't request a Trinnov for a specific reason, and you only plan to have 7.4.4 speakers this is a huge waste. Also, did they really plan this to have tower speakers just placed on the floor in the rear for $500k? 😖

Edit: Hold on... did you choose that projector for any specific reason? I can't even find a list price for it. Again, unless you chose it for a reason, someone is just loading you up with extremely high priced gear that you don't need.
The reason I need 32 channels is because the speakers are bi or tri amped. It need active cross-overs. Each L150 needs 3 channels and each L75 needs 2 channels.
For the 7.4.4 setup I need 25 channels

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think an Alcons-based system would perform better (or the same) for less. If you are going to have a Trinnov, then I would at a minimum go with a 9.4.6 system, not 7.4.4.

As someone else said, build a room behind this room to put all your equipment and the projector in.

If you are spending that much, why not go for the Eclipse and have the greatest cinema projector ever built?
Just the projector alone is 350k. Don't know if I can fit it within 600k.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts

The Wisdom Audio speakers are 2-way or 3-way speakers, so use more than 1 output channel on the Trinnov, so although I haven't done a channel count for his room, an Altitude32 seems appropriate.

Edit : Oops, I see the OP already addressed this.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I’m not sure if this is all Cinematech or that’s just for a visual reference. I have 3 of their chairs for D-BOX. They are high-end German and are great quality. But I’d listen to the suggestions here and get some more bids as that’s a ton of money for what are you getting.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would be asking about the noise created by the projector. And if a hush box needs to be considered. It probably wouldn’t add a whole lot to the budget.
They claim 33dBa, but there's absolutely NO reason to try and ceiling mount that projector in the middle of the room. It weighs 175lbs, and puts out 15,000 lumens! With those room dimensions, putting it in a projection room behind the rear wall would still give you 237fl on a 17' wide screen (assuming the screen would take up the whole width since the dimensions weren't given).

With the house still being under construction, have them build a bigger room for the theater! If you don't want a bigger room, go with a cheaper projector. That projector can handle a MUCH larger image, and seems like kind of a waste in that small of a space.

I agree with everyone else, get more quotes. You should be able to do a lot more for a lot less.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would check out Nyal Mellor at Acoustic Frontiers. I highly recommend him and his services which I used for a similar sized project. My equipment wish list was not a high end as your list, but I am extremely happy with the performance of my theater. As others are saying, you could spend considerably less and get a similarly performing theater.

Reactions: gowthamn

·
Registered
174 Posts
I know you didn’t list an actual screen size, but based on the constraints of your room dimensions I just can’t see the screen being large enough to justify the expense of the Christie. You can get a better performing projector for significantly less. Just my opinion...excited to see an actual build thread started!

1 - 20 of 124 Posts